text
stringlengths
9
67.6k
In an odd twist, AFSOC has no plans to zap humans with the laser since that would go against several long-standing international treaties, like the Protocol on Blinding Laser Weapons.
Instead, the special forces community wants to disable incoming missiles and silently burn holes in solid targets like communications towers, boats, cars and aircraft.
The Advanced Tactical Laser was a previous attempt to employ a 100kW chemical oxygen iodine laser (COIL) from an AC-130 gunship. The emphasis has since shifted to electric lasers due to their reduced size, weight and power requirements.
Colin Kaepernick might not have an NFL team to play for, but he's still winning big.
Medical weed could make it into the NFL.
The Whoop smart wristband is making waves in the NFL.
AT&T Mobility notified its subscribers Thursday that they might be entitled to benefits from a proposed class-action settlement over alleged improper charging of Internet taxes.
Subscribers sued AT&T earlier this year, saying the carrier charged them Internet taxes on their mobile service bills in violation of the federal Internet Tax Freedom Act and other laws. Suits in various courts were transferred to the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, in Chicago. AT&T and the p...
On Thursday, AT&T notified its customers via text message that they might qualify for benefits in the proposed settlement. The message directed the subscribers to a website with more information about the case, including details of a hearing to be held March 10, 2011, in the Chicago court, to determine if the settlemen...
The proposed settlement defines the class of plaintiffs as all AT&T Mobility customers who were charged Internet taxes on bills from Nov. 1, 2005, through Sept. 7, 2010. It does not specify how much a given subscriber might receive in benefits. AT&T did not admit wrongdoing. As part of the proposed deal, AT&T agreed to...
SHANGHAI – Yahoo Inc. (YHOO) is close to paying $1 billion and forking over its China operations for a 35 percent stake of China's second-largest e-commerce operator, Alibaba.com (search), a source close to the discussions said on Wednesday.
The deal is in the final hours of discussions, the source told Reuters, speaking on condition of anonymity. Members of the Chinese media have been invited by Alibaba to a news briefing set for Thursday in Beijing, according to one reporter.
The combination would create an e-commerce giant by bringing together Alibaba's business-to-business and consumer online auction sites with Yahoo's search operations, China's second largest after leader Baidu.com (BIDU).
Yahoo's shares have risen 1.6 percent this week since the news first emerged, compared with a small drop for the broader tech-heavy Nasdaq Baidu shares quadrupled in their U.S. debut on Friday, but fell 17 percent on Tuesday.
A spokesman from Alibaba and a spokeswoman from Yahoo both had no comment.
Yahoo would swap its country operations in exchange for a structure more similar to Yahoo Japan Corp., in which the U.S. search giant holds a 33 percent stake while Japan's Softbank holds a controlling 42 percent.
Softbank is also an investor in Alibaba, and is said to have been a broker in the current China talks, according to previous media reports.
An analyst at a major western brokerage, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Yahoo's ultimate aim may be to buy all of Alibaba -- an option that has been mentioned as part of an overall deal in the Chinese media.
"It's unclear if Yahoo's comfortable owning one-third forever, or whether Yahoo has a path to control," said an analyst at a major western brokerage, speaking on condition of anonymity.
Citing Yahoo Japan as a precedent for the move, the analyst said Yahoo was positioning itself to take a dominant role in China.
Based in the eastern China city of Hangzhou -- about two hours from Shanghai -- Alibaba's main China operations include a business-to-business e-commerce site, an online auction site called TaoBao that competes with eBay (EBAY) in China, and a recently launched online payment system called Alipay.
Yahoo's main China business consists of its search service, which it got two years ago when it purchased popular local search site 3721.com for $120 million.
The pairing would combine Alibaba's 2,000-plus employees with Yahoo's, which number in the hundreds.
The new entity would have a notional value of about $3 billion, but little cash is expected to be involved. Yahoo does not provide financials for its China operations, and privately held Alibaba only provides selective operating information.
Last month, Alibaba said transaction volume at its TaoBao service -- which does not charge transaction fees -- hit $200 million in the second quarter, with 8.5 million product listings and 7.2 million registered users at the end of the period.
Yahoo handing over its China operations to a local company would mark a shift in recent investment patterns by global Internet giants, which have spent the past three years snapping up homegrown Chinese industry leaders.
EBay entered China though a $180 million purchase of Shanghai-based EachNet. InterActiveCorp (IACI) paid $168 million for 52 percent of Chinese online travel agent eLong Online retailer Amazon.com purchased local player Joyo.com for $75 million, and online job search leader Monster.com bought a 40 percent stake in Chin...
Health workers are calling on people to join the demonstration on Saturday 3 February in central London.
Staffing figures released this week hammered home the scale of the NHS crisis. The number of unfilled nursing posts in England reached a new high of over 34,000 last year.
The scale of the NHS crisis is causing rows among the Tories. Boris Johnson briefed that he would call for extra NHS funding at a cabinet meeting this Tuesday.
The demonstration, called by the People’s Assembly and Health Campaigns Together, is an opportunity to take advantage of the Tories’ problems.
We cannot wait for a Labour government—we have fight for the NHS now.
At least 40 people died or were harmed in the East of England because of ambulance delays over the holiday period, according to a whistleblower.
It is another sign of the NHS crisis caused by Tory cuts and privatisation.
According to a damning dossier, passed to the Lowestoft Journal newspaper, the deaths included a man who waited 16 hours for an ambulance.
The document said the patient from Lowestoft appeared “to have frozen to death” on 27 December.
Cops called the ambulance because the man, who is believed to have been in his 50s, was sitting outside his home. The East of England Ambulance Trust (EEAS) decided not to send an ambulance because he had “no obvious injuries”.
This meant it was not logged as an emergency call, which requires a response time of seven minutes.
Some 16 hours later a second call was made by another person, who reported that the man was not breathing and in cardiac arrest.
The ambulance arrived within eight minutes—but he was already dead.
Tory budget cuts and privatisation have combined with their decimation of council-run social services.
A new report on mental health services, published by the King’s Fund think tank last week, hammers home the scale of the NHS crisis. Mental health trusts’ budgets increased by less than 2.5 percent, well below the inflation rate.
This crisis means that people are forced to seek help in accident and emergency (A&E) services. Salena, a mental health nurse in Bristol, told Socialist Worker, “Support services have collapsed so A&E is the only place they can really come.
Labour politicians have called for funding for mental health services to be “ringfenced” and for “parity” with other services. Labour should be fighting for more funding, not trying to make the best of limited resources and just blaming the Tories.
Labour held a national campaigning day last Saturday and planned a Westminster rally with Jeremy Corbyn and John McDonnell this Thursday.
Corbyn and the Labour Party should throw their weight behind the NHS demonstration on 3 February.
Called by the People’s Assembly and Health Campaigns Together, it could bring tens of thousands onto the streets of London.
Activists across Britain have booked coaches.
In Nottingham campaigners are planning a series of events in the run-up to the demonstration, including banner drops, meetings and leafleting hospitals.
Activists need to go all out to build the demonstration in the final weeks.
REAL MADRID boss Julen Lopetegui will pay for his side’s poor form by losing his job.
That’s the ominous prediction of former Los Blancos star Michael Essien.
Real have failed to score in their last four games in all competitions for the first time in over 30 years.
Gareth Bale is back in full training ahead of the European champions’ La Liga upcoming clash with Levante.
The winger missed Wales’ friendly with Spain with what manager Ryan Giggs called muscle fatigue.
With the Clasico against Barcelona on the horizon, Lopetegui must get his side back to winning ways.
And Essien warned the former Spain manager that Real Madrid will not tolerate much more poor form.
"Real Madrid are one the biggest clubs, so you can imagine the pressure," Essien said to Omnisport.
"We all hope he will do well.
"It's a big club and if you're not going to get the results you know what happens next."
Ex-Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is eyeing a to return to football at Real Madrid, Le Parisien reports.
He has various options open to him, with the US national team job or a similar role in China possible.
PSG want him in a director of football role but Wenger wants a managerial ideally sees himself as a club boss at a club such as Bayern Munich.
The Sun claimed yesterday that former Chelsea boss Antonio Conte had been contacted as a potential replacement for Lopetegui.
The former goalkeeper is under intense pressure having lost two of his first eight La Liga matches while winning just four.
Lopetegui was sacked by Spain in the lead up to this past summers’ World Cup after he accepted the Real Madrid job.
Los Blancos are however just two points behind La Liga leaders Sevilla and one behind bitter rivals Barcelona.
A car laden with explosives was detonated yesterday in the eastern province of Gaziantep, near the Syrian border, killing at least nine people and wounding 68.
Turkish security forces have detained four people who are suspected of involvement in the bombing in the southeastern province of Şanlıurfa’s Siverek district today.
Assailants remotely detonated the explosives at 7:38 p.m. after leaving the car at a bus stop 30 meters from the Karşıyaka Police Station in the province's Şehitkamil district.
The explosion ripped through the street, incinerating a city bus and a minibus which were picking up passengers at the bus stop. Numerous vehicles and shops were damaged by the blast.
Eight people, including one woman and three children of ages 18 months, four years and 11 years, were reportedly killed in the blast. Another 12-year-old child died in hospital today.
Out of the initially 69 injured people, 17 remained in hospital, with four in critical condition, Deputy Prime Minister Beşir Atalay said during a press conference today.
A special investigation team was dispatched from Ankara to look for clues in the attack, which sent parts of the car used in the bombing flying as far as 200 meters away from the blast point.
The Karşıyaka Police Station, which was the apparent target of the blast, served as a police station in the lower floors and as a housing unit for police officers' families in the upper floors.
The car used in the bombing was reported stolen in another province that Atalay refrained from mentioning and was brought into Gaziantep with a tow-truck. Security forces determined that the vehicle arrived in the city yesterday and have also learned the tow-truck driver's identity, Atalay said.
Atalay rejected claims that the security forces had received a tip that a bomb car had infiltrated Gaziantep two weeks ago but failed to locate it. "Credit should not be given to such speculation," Atalay said.
Atalay called on Turkish citizens to remain calm and patient in the wake of the attack. "The aim of terror is to spread fear, sow chaos and spark conflicts," he said.
An angry mob marched to the district and provincial offices of the Peace and Democracy Party (BDP) after the attack yesterday in Gaziantep, chanting slogans and hurling stones at party offices. Riot police had to disperse the crowds. The BDP issued a statement today condemning the bombing.
Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan said he would be visiting Gaziantep tomorrow during which he would attend the funerals of the victims. The leader of the main opposition Republican People's Party (CHP), Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu, said he would be in Gaziantep tomorrow as well.
The outlawed Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK), which is recognized as a terrorist organization by Turkey, announced today that it was nor responsible for the attack, via news channels close to the organization.
LAGUNA BEACH — Robert Stewart Sant, a Laguna Beach High School lacrosse coach, has been arrested on suspicion of inappropriate touching of three girls on his team.
Sant, 37, of Irvine, was arrested Tuesday, April 9, on three counts of lewd and lascivious acts with a child, said Laguna Beach police Sgt. Jim Cota. Sant posted $100,000 bail.
The incidents were first reported to Cpl. Cornelius Ashton, the Laguna Beach Police Department’s school resource officer at Laguna Beach High School.
Sant, who was in his first season as lacrosse head coach, is no longer employed by Laguna Beach Unified School District, effective April 5, said Leisa Winston, assistant superintendent.
The district is cooperating with law enforcement in their investigation, Winston said.
Slack has a lot of functions, but end-to-end encryption isn’t one of them, which makes the platform a no-go for some users. Launching to the public today, ClearChat comes along to save the day, serving the needs of the slightly more security-conscious teams, with chat, file transfer and more.
ClearChat describes its service as “a combination of Slack and Dropbox,” except with some heavy-duty encryption and security-first design decisions thrown in. The company’s services have been designed with full end-to-end encryption, which means that the company itself cannot decrypt its customers’ private data, should...
Diaz may be onto something here; Slack was already hacked once, and as more and more business-critical information starts moving from shared folders to cloud-based chat rooms, the value of hacking a target like Slack increases by the day.
Positioning itself as an alternative for teams who require privacy and security for compliance purposes — and for groups of people who just have an above-average interest in security — the ClearChat platform has been designed to be impenetrable, even to its own staff.
In particular, the company has analyzed attack vectors against communication platforms, and has made an attempt to design them out of the systems, including robust authentication and verification protocols. By using decentralized encryption, the company has quashed the man-in-the-middle attacks that plague SSL-based en...
ClearChat evolved from Bitmessage, an email-like tool the company’s CTO developed three-plus years ago. Bitmessage is an open-source tool in use by thousands of users monthly, but is aimed at people who have a deeper understanding of tech. ClearChat is a more user-friendly version that’s more like Internet Relay Chat (...
Slack keeps going from strength to strength with, frankly, ridiculous growth. As a result, it should come as no surprise that there is no shortage of clones and me-too companies that fancy having a go, too. The secret sauce to taking Slack on at its own game is adding something special to the mix; something that will m...
Live Webcasts of four sponsor sessions from the New York "Real-World AJAX" event are now available at the conference Website.
" session, Jouk Pleiter's (Backbase) "AJAX Best Practices" session, and Kevin Hakman's (TIBCO) "The Four Quantum States of AJAX" session.
The 12-hour event with its entire 11 sessions is also available as an on-demand product, in an easy to navigate DVD for all delegates of "Real-World AJAX" and "AJAXWorld Conference & Expo."
The first Real-World AJAX event took place on Monday, March 13, 2006 in New York City featuring 15 speakers in 11 sessions, including the world’s most renowned AJAX experts. Seminar attendees also got a chance to hear from leading AJAX technology companies with presentations of their real-world AJAX solutions and accom...
More than 400 delegates attended and more than 15,000 SYS-CON.TV viewers tuned into the simulcast of the March 13 event, which Bacbase news blog calls "It was a great day, and certainly the first major Ajax Event in the World."
AJAXWorld Conference & Expo Announced!
SYS-CON Events announced the that the East Coast international AJAXWorld Conference & Expo to take place on March 10-21, 2007, in New York City and more that 1,000 delgates fromaround the world is expected to attend the second international AJAXWorld. The world-beating conference program will provide developers, IT man...