text
stringlengths
13
81.7k
Tags: Falkland Islands, Indian Navy, INSV Tarini, New Zealand.
The IPL 2019 match between Delhi Capitals and Kolkata Knight Riders went down to the super over and finished well past midnight.
With some IPL 2019 matches going on till after midnight, several fans and former cricketers have complained about the ever-increasing time being taken by matches in the tournament. Mumbai Indians captain Rohit Sharma and Rajasthan Royals captain Ajinkya Rahane have been fined Rs 12 lakh each for their teams' slow over ...
Specifically referring to the recent match between Delhi Capitals and Kolkata Knight Riders, former England captain Michael Vaughan complained about the duration of matches in a tweet on Wednesday.
The match in question went down to the super over and finished well past midnight, with one long break taken before the over by KKR's Prasidh Krishna and another before the over bowled by DC's Kagiso Rabada.
SRH coach Tom Moody replied to Vaughan's tweet with a suggestion that has drawn widespread approval, including an agreement from Vaughan.
Simple solution, forget monetary fines, deduct from teams net run rate. Works in the @CPL, players quickly recognise the value of NRR when it comes to qualifying for playoffs!
The concept of penalty runs is, however, not new in T20 cricket. One of the provisions of the shortest format when it had been first introduced was that a six-run penalty would be added for each over that wasn't bowled within the stipulated time limit - 20 overs in 90 minutes.
The rule of penalty runs is enforced in the T20 blast, England's domestic T20 competition, as well. As recently as last year, Kent beat Somerset with the help of six penalty runs to qualify for the quarter finals. The IPL has never seen such a rule being enforced.
Ruth Crohn, born March 29, 1916, passed away March 6, 2006 in Denver, CO. Formerly of Chicago, beloved wife of the late Sidney; devoted mother of Lois Leder and Sandra Freydberg; loving grandmother of Mark and Michelle (Wil Greenberg) Herrmann, Michael, Cindy, Jill (Graeme Bell) Freydberg and Jordana Freydberg; loving ...
It's Wednesday, August 10th, 2011. I'm Wilson Tang on CNET.com and it's time to get loaded. In somewhat surprising news, Apple has won a preliminary injunction against Samsung's new Galaxy Tab 10.1 Android-powered tablet in Europe. Samsung says that the ruling was disappointing. The company also says that the injunctio...
FORMER Liverpool player David Thompson last night held talks with St Mirren about becoming their new manager.
The possible move for the 37-year-old comes out of the blue as he has no top-level coaching experience, although his name emerged after a string of bets were placed on him landing the Buddies job that became available after the sacking of Tommy Craig.
Senior sources at the club claim they have still to formally start the interview process and it is unclear whether Thompson met with the board or potential backers looking to buy the troubled club.
The Paisley outfit has been up for sale for several years and Argentinian and English consortiums have expressed interest in recent weeks.
Thompson is a former Wigan team-mate of Buddies caretaker boss Gary Teale, who has stated he wants to keep the job on a permanent basis.
Some board members want to talk with former Motherwell and Hibs manager Terry Butcher, but they have not approached him yet.
Thompson, who also played in midfield for Coventry, Portsmouth and Bolton, is a bizarre runner for the job as he has only fleetingly coached at the Liverpool Academy, having been forced to hang up his boots seven years ago because of a chronic cartilage problem in a knee – an injury that first appeared while at Blackbu...
Meanwhile, the Buddies have decided not to appeal the red card handed out to Steven Thompson in the 1-0 loss to Motherwell at the weekend.
The Buddies felt aggrieved that their captain was sent off by referee Alan Muir for a first-half challenge on Mark O’Brien at St Mirren Park.
Former Ayr United winger Teale considered challenging the decision, but after discussions with the 36-year-old frontman he has reluctantly decided just to accept the whistler’s decision.
Thompson will now be suspended for the trip to Dundee on Saturday.
A note may pertain-to author.
A male can be an author.
An author may pertain-to a book.
A female can be an author.
Author may pertain-to a book.
A male can be an author of some books.
Authors may pertain-to a person.
Authors may conclude that something-is-the-case.
An author may pertain-to a study.
An author can be published.
Authors may pertain-to a study.
Author may pertain-to a study.
A name may pertain-to an author.
An author may pertain-to a person.
The town of Madison, New Jersey, is getting a dose of the "Jersey Shore" with the opening of The Snooki Shop: a fashion boutique created and owned by none other than MTV reality TV star Nicole "Snooki" Polizzi.
Nicole handpicks every piece and the clothes she sells are what she wears on the show and the red carpets.
Polizzi also had some advice to share with entrepreneurs and those looking to start their own business.
Nicole Polizzi organizing clothing racks in The Snooki Shop.
“Obviously have a plan and make sure you know what you want to do but don’t overthink it," she said.
Polizzi has two children -- Lorenzo, 6, and Giovanna, 4 -- with her husband of four years, Jionni LaValle. She recently announced that she's expecting her third child.
"Jersey Shore: Family Vacation" airs Thursdays at 8 p.m. ET on MTV.
Father, James (Bud) Walton, and his brother Sam ran handful of small 5-and-10 stores in Arkansas, Missouri. Brothers built first Wal-Mart 1962. With sister Ann Walton Kroenke, inherited large stake in the retailer after Bud's death 1995. Bought pro hockey's St. Louis Blues 1999 with husband, Bill; sold 6 years later to...
A Palm Beach County pilot examiner is among the victims of Tuesday's midair collision over the Everglades.
Palm Beach Flight Instructors says that Ralph Knight of Lantana was a pilot examiner throughout South Florida. The 72-year-old worked with flight schools from Stuart to Miami.
A total of four people died when two small planes collided in Miami-Dade County.
The fourth body was found Wednesday morning. Miami-Dade Police Detective Alvaro Zabaleta told reporters that the body of 22-year-old Carlos Alfredo Zanetti Scarpati had been recovered from the remote, swampy crash site.
The two others killed in the crash were identified as 22-year-old Jorge Sanchez and 19-year-old Nisha Sejwal.
Airboats were used to reach the crash site about 9 miles west of Miami Executive Airport.
Green Bay School District Superintendent Michelle Langenfeld was hired in 2011.
GREEN BAY - Green Bay School District's superintendent plans to retire at the end of the 2019-20 school year.
Michelle Langenfeld announced her plan to retire Thursday morning on social media. Langenfeld was hired by the district in 2011 and replaced Greg Maass. Previously, she served as associate superintendent of the Anoka-Hennepin School District in Anoka, Minn.
Langenfeld said she chose to make the announcement now because she does not plan to accept a contract extension.
Her husband's upcoming retirement and her desire to spend more time with family are playing a role in her decision to retire.
“I think there are many things I am looking forward to. One of them is spending more time with family and spending more time with friends,” Langenfeld said.
She said she is proud of a number of achievements during her tenure, including installing Wi-Fi for students and staff throughout the district, improving state assessments, closing achievement gaps, raising graduation rates, and expanding learning opportunities for students to prepare them for life after high school.
Expanded opportunities include West High School programs Bay Link Manufacturing and Bridges Construction and Renovation, City Stadium Automotive at East High School, and K-12 fine arts programs throughout the district.
“There is much to be said about the opportunities that we have afforded our students in the work that we have done together,” Langenfeld said.
Langenfeld has been "incredibly dedicated" to the staff and students during her tenure, School Board president Brenda Warren said.
“I think she deserves that retirement. She’s certainly given us 110 percent of herself for the last 7½ years,” Warren said.
The board has not discussed its plan for a superintendent search, Warren said.
Langenfeld plans to stay involved with the community after her retirement but is unsure what form that involvement will take.
“I am one of those people who likes to be very engaged and very involved,” Langenfeld said.
Cassowary attack in Florida: Big, flightless bird kills owner.
This photo taken on August 23, 2017, shows a cassowary next to a chicken in Sorong’s Malagufuk village in West Papua, Indonesia.
A large flightless bird native to Australia and New Guinea that is considered one of the world’s most dangerous killed its owner in a farm in Florida. The cassowary, which is similar to an emu, killed 75-year-old Marvin Hajos on Friday near Gainesville. The Alachua County Fire Rescue Department said the bird appears to...
The San Diego Zoo’s website describes the cassowary as dangerous and points out just what makes this bird that can weigh up to 130 pounds so deadly: “The cassowary is rightfully considered the most dangerous bird in the world! Each 3-toed foot has a dagger-like claw on the inner toe that is up to 4 inches (10 centimete...
Telkom has gone silent following multiple requests for feedback on tests which show that smartphones on its network suffer from accelerated battery drain.
MyBroadband conducted several tests which show that identical smartphones in the same environment – with a SIM from Telkom, Rain, Vodacom, MTN, and Cell C in them – do not consume battery power at the same rate.
The smartphones were all connected to their respective operators’ LTE networks, and all had almost identical signal strength levels.
They were then left in one location, connected to an active Wi-Fi connection and had their mobile connections on, charged to 100% battery, and left to sit idle.
Battery consumption was measured at regular intervals, and we found that the device connected to the Telkom LTE network suffered from substantially increased battery drain.
In the most recent tests, using five Samsung Galaxy S8 smartphones, the Telkom device was at 7% battery level at the end of the test.
By comparison, the Vodacom device was on 77%.
The drainage tests MyBroadband conducted were inspired by several complaints from MyBroadband Forum members.
The members stated that when connected to Telkom’s mobile network – particularly the LTE network – their smartphones lost battery life at an increased rate.
Devices which were reported to be affected ranged from Apple iPhone models to Samsung Galaxy flagships.
To see how severe the increased drainage was, we used four Nokia 5 smartphones in our initial test – set up in the same format as the Galaxy S8 test described above.
The Nokia 5 test found that there was a battery drainage issue for the Telkom device, and Telkom acknowledged the problem.
Telkom said it was working on a fix for the issue, and it had “identified the cause of the battery drainage on the Nokia 5”.
However, it added that “Telkom has tested other devices and the battery impact on the devices is not the same as with the Nokia 5”.
Following this statement, MyBroadband conducted a new round of tests – using Samsung Galaxy S8 smartphones.
The use of different devices was to investigate if Telkom’s statement was accurate, and if forum member reports of widespread battery drainage were valid.
The new round of testing using the Galaxy S8 devices produced the same results as the Nokia 5 tests – with the smartphone on the Telkom network losing battery at a much quicker rate.
Telkom was asked for feedback on the findings, and why the tests showed increased drainage on the Galaxy S8, but the company failed to reply to questions.
Take a Smooth Trip with Yobi Alan and Atari Jones on "Cadillac Bennington"
The "Toronto sound"—the moniker given to the slow, moody brand of R&B and hip-hop that the city has become known for—might be the dominant force right now but it is, by no means, the only type of music the Big Smoke has to offer. Producer/DJ Yobi Alan has been making experimental, trip-hop leaning beats for a number of...
In addition to verses from Jones, the track features fellow Cleveland emcees Mac Baaby and YMC Lava. Alan's slow/trippy production changes up a few times throughout, giving the perfect, if uneven, canvas for the three to trade bars atop, resulting in a track that evokes early Cool Kids or Odd Future.
Stream "Cadillac Bennington" on Spotify above or through Apple Music.
THE airline industry has for years been flying to and from terminals that are nowhere near the cities they are supposed to serve, so it was only a matter of time before the railways followed suit.
Come next year, many of the trains from Yorkshire to the capital will drop you off instead at Peterborough, which is around 90 miles from King’s Cross. It makes the airport fancifully known as London Luton seem positively metropolitan.
The reason for this is the wholesale upgrading of King’s Cross itself, which will see all its platforms closed for entire weekends at a time. You will not need reminding that a “weekend” in Network Rail parlance runs well into the following Tuesday.
The upheaval will make leisure trips between Yorkshire and London virtually impossible during the affected periods – which include the summer months when southern tourists might otherwise have come here to take in our scenery.
But, while I do not for a moment take Network Rail at face value when it says it will keep disruption to a minimum, I can’t dispute that the £250m worth of upgrades to the tracks and signals it proposes are necessary if, as it says, journey times are to be shortened and capacity at the station increased.
But, hang on… are those not the same benefits that the infinitely more expensive HS2 project is supposed to deliver?
The collective clutching at straws by executives and politicians was almost audible last week as the fallout from HS2’s estimate of how many communities its new high speed line will rip up, began to be felt.
Suddenly, speed was not the issue after all; it was increased capacity the nation needed. Space, it was said by Leeds Council and others, could be freed to move goods traffic off the motorways and back on to the rails.
But is that likely? The freight industry has invested billions in fleets of vehicles and loading facilities on slip roads. Its systems work a darn sight more efficiently than the rail network, and they are not likely to be abandoned simply because Leeds Council thinks it should use the trains instead.
Besides, any imagined reduction in HGV traffic will apply to motorways only, and mostly just to the M1. The lorries that radiate outwards will continue, unaffected, to their destinations.