text
stringlengths
13
81.7k
The fire has been extinguished and no injuries have been reported, the Port Authority told Business Insider in an email.
Some travelers were evacuated due to a smoke condition at the terminal.
A man arrested for robbing a bank posted a photo and videos of the theft on social media — but said he shouldn't have been charged because he didn't threaten anyone and politely asked for the money.
Dominyk Antonio Alfonseca, 23, was arrested on Monday in Virginia Beach about 20 minutes after a TowneBank branch was robbed.
Alfonseca told media outlets in interviews from jail Wednesday that he posted a photo of the note he handed to a bank teller, and two videos of her reading it and handing over the money, to Instagram. They still appeared on his account Wednesday night. He didn't say why he posted them, but said if it had been a re...
"I videotaped it. If it was a robbery, I don't think I would videotape it, post the picture of the letter and do that all to come to jail," he told WAVY-TV. "I'm basically asking permission for money. In my eyes I did not commit a robbery, and I feel I'm being charged without reason."
A photo posted to Alfonseca's Instagram account shows a handwritten note in which the writer remarks that it would probably take three or four minutes for police to arrive, so "I would appreciate it if you ring the alarm a minute after I'm gone." It also says to "make sure the money doesn't blow up" on h...
Online court records did not show whether Alfonseca had an attorney. He told the television station he recently moved to the area from California and that he is a rapper.
Alfonseca was quoted by the Virginian-Pilot as saying that he has been the victim of theft, with businesses and artists stealing ideas from his Instagram account.
He told the newspaper it's as if there's a chip in his brain that tells people what he thinks before he says it.
MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russia Deputy Prime Minister Vitaly Mutko, banned for life from the Olympics this month, is temporarily stepping down from his role as head of the country’s Football Union, he said on Monday.
Mutko is to appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) on Tuesday against the decision by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) to ban him from the Games over allegations of state-sponsored doping.
“For the period of the proceedings I will suspend my work at the Russian Football Union for six months,” Mutko was quoted as saying by Russian news agencies.
The IOC said this month it was banning Russia from the 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympics after finding evidence of “unprecedented systematic manipulation” of doping procedures..
Russia is hosting next year’s soccer World Cup in 11 cities including Moscow, St Petersburg and Sochi.
Mutko also said he was considering resigning as head of the World Cup’s organizing committee (LOC).
Mutko sat on FIFA’s decision-making Council, previously known as the executive committee, from 2009 until earlier this year when he was barred from standing for re-election.
Mutko’s position as a government minister was ruled by FIFA’s review committee to be incompatible with FIFA statutes demanding political neutrality from its members.
WASHINGTON — The Senate approved broad legislation Tuesday to make firing employees easier for the beleaguered Department of Veterans Affairs, part of an accountability effort urged by President Donald Trump following years of high-profile problems.
The bill would lower the burden of proof needed to fire employees — from a “preponderance” to “substantial evidence,” allowing a dismissal even if most evidence is in a worker’s favor.
The American Federation of Government Employees, the largest federal employee union, opposed the bill. But the measure was viewed as more in balance with workers’ rights than a version passed by the House in March, mostly along party lines. The Senate bill calls for a longer appeal process than the House’s version — 18...
The VA has been plagued by years of problems, and critics complain that too few employees are punished for malfeasance. The Associated Press reported last week that federal authorities were investigating dozens of new cases of possible opioid and other drug theft by employees at VA hospitals, even after the VA announce...
“To shield employees from consequences brings down the entire department, it demoralizes the workforce and undermines the core mission of the VA,” Rubio said.
The Senate bill would codify into law a Trump campaign promise — a permanent VA accountability office, which was established in April by executive order. The legislation would give the head of the accountability office more independent authority and require regular updates to Congress. The office would also maintain a ...
In a “State of the VA” report released last week, VA Secretary David Shulkin described an employee accountability process that was “clearly broken.” He said the VA had about 1,500 disciplinary actions against employees on hold, citing a required waiting period of at least a month before taking action for misconduct.
“The regular horror stories have made it clear that veterans deserve much better,” he said.
WASHINGTON (AFP) - The top US diplomat for Asian affairs, Kurt Campbell, stepped down from his post on Friday after almost four years in the job helping to steer America's pivot to Asia, a US official said.
Mr Campbell has served as assistant secretary of state for East Asian and Pacific Affairs since June 2009, and has criss-crossed the region since taking over from his predecessor Christopher Hill.
He will be replaced by his deputy Joe Yun until a new assistant secretary is nominated by President Barack Obama, a top US official said, asking not to be named.
Mr Campbell, an academic and former naval officer, was known for his extensive knowledge of Asia and his boundless energy in engaging with his Asian counterparts under former secretary of state Hillary Clinton.
"This position is the key face of US diplomacy in Asia and often Washington's main strategic thinker about Asia," The Australian daily newspaper wrote in a weekend editorial.
"Campbell was so effective because of his deep knowledge of Asia, larger-than-life personality, endless energy, diamond-hard mind, sense of strategic realities and closeness to Clinton."
In the affidavit for his arrest, Christopher Watts claims he killed his pregnant wife after discovering she had strangled their two daughters.
The affidavit, made public Monday following the filing of formal charges against the Frederick man and a news conference by the Weld District Attorney’s Office, states when Watts’ wife, Shanann, returned home early Aug. 13 from a business trip to Arizona, Watts had a conversation with her about wanting to initiate sepa...
After the two cried about it for a few minutes, Watts went downstairs. When he returned a short while later to continue talking, he saw on a baby monitor 4-year-old Bella sprawled out on her bed and blue, and Shanann actively strangling 3-year-old Celeste, according to court records.
Weld County District Attorney Michael Rourke addresses the crowd during a press conference Monday at the Weld County Courthouse in Greeley. The press conference was to lay out the charges being filed against Chris Watts.
Watts told police he went into a rage and strangled his wife to death. He put the bodies of his wife and daughters in his work truck and dumped them at an oil and gas site.
On Monday, the Weld District Attorney’s Office filed formal charges against Watts, 33. He faces three counts of first-degree murder after deliberation, two counts of first-degree murder of a victim under the age of 12 and by a person in a position of trust, one count of first-degree unlawful termination of a pregnancy,...
The district attorney’s office hosted a 4 p.m. news conference to discuss the charges. Weld District Attorney Michael Rourke said he has not yet decided if he will pursue the death penalty.
Frank Rzucek Sr., Shanann’s father, also spoke during the news conference. He thanked the public for its support and for attending the vigil for Shanann and her daughters this past week. He also asked for continued prayers.
Watts’ wife and two daughters were reported missing Aug. 13 by family friend Nicole Utoft. Utoft told police she dropped Shanann off at her home in Frederick about 1:45 a.m. Aug. 13 following their work trip to Arizona. Utoft became worried later that day when Shanann, who was 15 weeks pregnant, missed a 10 a.m. doctor...
Utoft went to the Watts home and saw Shanann’s car parked in the garage, according to court records. Fearing Shanann might be having a medical emergency from the pregnancy, Utoft tried to enter the house, but couldn’t because the front door was latched. She called the police.
Frederick police responded but also couldn’t gain entry to the home. An officer called Watts for a code to the garage door, but he insisted they wait for him to get there to let them in. Watts claimed the security pad for the garage door wasn’t working, and he was only five minutes from his house, according to the affi...
After Watts arrived, officers entered the home, but couldn’t find Shanann or the girls. Police also didn’t find any signs of a struggle. Watts told police about his conversation with his wife about getting a divorce and said she decided to stay with a friend. He didn’t know which friend, according to the affidavit.
After a two-day investigation, and upon authorities learning about the affair, Watts told police he was ready to tell the truth. He first spoke with his dad, who also was at the Frederick police station, before confessing to killing his wife.
Watts was arrested Wednesday night. He was booked into Weld County Jail shortly after midnight Thursday.
Police secured a search warrant for a drone flyover at the oil and gas site. It uncovered evidence of fresh movement of dirt consistent with a clandestine grave, according to court records. A bed sheet, which matched the pattern of pillow cases and a top sheet recovered from Watts’ home, was photographed in a field nea...
Hours after Watts made his first appearance Thursday in Weld District Court, the Frederick Police Department — in conjunction with the Colorado Bureau of Investigation — announced the bodies of Bella and Celeste were recovered from a nearly full oil and gas tank on property owned by Anadarko Petroleum near Hudson. Shan...
On Friday, a judge denied a request by Colorado Public Defender James Merson, who is representing Watts, to allow a defense expert to collect DNA evidence from the necks of the young girls. The judge did, however, grant a motion directing the medical examiner to collect that evidence and provide it to the defense. Auto...
Weld County District Attorney Michael Rourke speaks during a press conference in regards to the charges against Chris Watts on Monday at the Weld County Courthouse in Greeley.
Now that formal charges have been filed, Watts is scheduled to return to district court at 10 a.m. Tuesday for a more formal advisement hearing.
Rourke, along with Chief Deputy District Attorney Steve Wrenn and Deputy District Attorney Patrick Roche, is prosecuting Watts.
— Tribune reporter Emily Wenger contributed to this report.
Teaching them how to say goodbye. Malia and Sasha Obama got a very special letter from two women who understand what they are going through as they prepare to leave the White House next week.
Barbara Bush and Jenna Bush Hager penned a letter to the Obama girls, which was published by Time on Thursday. The daughters of former president George W. Bush and Laura Bush recalled showing Malia and Sasha around the White House in 2008 when their father, Barack Obama, had just been sworn in as president.
Barbara and Jenna continued, “We have watched you grow from girls to impressive young women with grace and ease. And through it all you had each other. Just like we did.
WATCH: President Obama Surprises Joe Biden With the Medal of Freedom -- Watch His Tear-Jerking Reaction!
Michelle Obama recently applauded the Bush family for supporting her family during their transition into office. During her appearance on The Tonight Show this week, the First Lady talked about the former president and his family’s support.
For more on the Obamas’ final days in office, watch the clip below!
WASHINGTON -- The Department of the Army announced today that the 2nd Brigade Combat Team of the 3rd Infantry Division, stationed at Fort Stewart, Georgia, will convert from an Infantry Brigade Combat Team (IBCT) to an Armored Brigade Combat Team (ABCT). Conversion of the 4,200 Soldier IBCT to an ABCT, equipped with Ab...
"The complexity of global security challenges is increasing, and as Secretary of Defense Carter has said, addressing these challenges requires some new thinking on our part, new posture in some regions and also new and enhanced capabilities. The conversion of an IBCT to an ABCT better postures the Army to meet the defe...
Conversion of 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 3rd Infantry Division, which begins in the summer 2017, will provide the nation a 15th ABCT; 10 ABCTs in the Regular Army and five in the Army National Guard, ensuring a more balanced distribution between its light and heavy fighting forces. Once the conversion is complete, 2nd Br...
With WakingApp's do-it-yourself augmented reality app creation platform and an Epson Moverio, things may soon look very different.
While Google may have yet failed to convince enterprises of the need for augmented reality with its Glass project, Epson believes the technology still has a place in business.
The company has developed a Wix-like do-it-yourself platform for creating augmented and virtual reality applications. Epson showed off the platform, designed for its Moverio headset, at the Israeli Droidcon near Tel Aviv recently.
The platform was developed by Israeli augmented reality startup WakingApp, which developed ENTITI Creator to enable the quick and easy creation of augmented and virtual reality apps.
"Not just the linear, relatively simple AR apps we've seen until now, but sophisticated ones that can help businesses, schools, museums, and many other organizations get an app up and running in hours, with the platform providing functionality that in the past would have taken weeks to develop," said Alon Melchner, Wak...
Apps developed with ENTITI could work with any augmented or virutal reality device, but Epson has partnered with WakingApp to develop apps specifically for the Moverio, the company's own hardware for the field.
With the platform, users can create their apps - by tweaking existing templates, using the same strategy as online web authoring services like Wix - and upload them to a Moverio app store (much like Apple's) that the company is setting up.
The apps will be available to other Moverio users for download. In addition, provisions will be made for other apps that can be used without approval by Epson for use by organizations.
The question, of course, is how Epson plans to succeed where Google couldn't. Google halted sales of its Glass device in January, ostensibly to make way for a new product (which has yet to surface).
"The difference is that we will be targeting business, not consumers," an Epson spokesperson said. Glass's apps - however few there were - tended towards the consumer, while Moverio will be enterprise-orientated. "From that perspective, Moverio is a completely different product than Glass," the spokesperson added.
Last year, Epson introduced its first enterprise augmented reality application for the Moverio, made by an Israeli company, FieldBit. The app enables field workers - repair people, sales personnel, or anyone else whose work takes them away from their desk or laptop - to get information and instructions, and to send dat...
That information could help feed big data applications, giving companies first-hand access to information that may have been inaccurately reported in the past.
Fieldbit designed a no-hands AR system for the Moverio, which workers at Mekorot, Israel's water company, use to check out equipment. Workers can see just by glancing at a dial or a connection if there is a problem, and get an overlay of what it is supposed to look like - as well as specific visual instructions on how ...
That's the kind of power Epson hopes to put in the hands of companies via the WakingApp platform - but with a creation process hundreds of times faster than the months it took to develop the Fieldbit app.
"Enterprise is a lot more willing to try a new solution like AR and VE than consumers, and one reason we believe Glass did not fulfill expectations was because it was marketed as and perceived of as a consumer device," said the spokesperson. "But as devices like Moverio become more common in companies, individuals are ...
WakingApp's Melchner agrees. "With our platform, users will develop apps and upload them to the Moverio app store, creating an ecosystem that will gradually become a part of daily life. Our goal is to bring AR to a point where it is not just seen as an 'augmentation' on a screen, but as a 'natural' part of the real wor...
A SYDNEY florist says police had no choice but to shoot a man who threatened him with a bottle at Central Station on Wednesday night.
The business owner has given his harrowing account of the incident as police undertake a critical incident investigation into the fatal shooting.
"He put his hand to my neck, came from behind and put the bottle here," he told Nine's Today.
The florist told the program the man who threatened him was yelling "call the police", and managed to grab scissors from the shop's bench.
"After when I got out and he was here with some other people, he had the scissors everywhere. He put some scissors in his belt, and he was holding some," the man said.
The florist said railway workers had alerted police who arrived at the scene within minutes.
He said officers had no choice but to shoot the man.
"If they didn't shoot him, he would attack them with the scissors he was holding."
Officers were called to the busy station just before 6.45pm after reports of an armed robbery at a florist near the station entrance.
"A man of Asian appearance has died following that confrontation with police," NSW Police Assistant Commissioner Mark Walton said.
"That investigation will be subject to independent review."
The man has not yet been identified and it's unclear if anyone else was injured. The incident is not believed to be terrorism related.
Graphic video posted on social media filmed by an eyewitness shows two police officers with their guns drawn and aimed at a man inside a florist before someone yells "down".
The man appears to run from the florist towards police before four shots are fired at him.
"F***, f***," an onlooker can be heard screaming.
The man can then be seen lying lifeless on the ground as police come to his aid.
"Everybody move away," someone can be heard saying before the video ends.
NSW police said "a man has been shot following a confrontation with police and has died at the scene."
"A critical incident team from the Homicide Squad will now investigate all circumstances surrounding the incident.
"That investigation will be subject to independent review and all information will be provided to the Coroner."
Witnesses told news.com.au the man did not appear to be involved in a robbery but that he was behaving in a violent manner.
Nathan Yin was standing near the Eddy Avenue entrance to Central Station waiting for a friend when he saw an Asian man, who appeared to be in his 30s, approach the florist and start "breaking everything".