text
stringlengths
12
69.1k
The disconnect issue is another area of deep discussions. I can't tell if you use some vendors wifi connection manager or the Windows native one. I've had to try both and settle on "the one the works."
In reply to: I've seen that.
So one day after,the problem is back,Im connected,Internet works,but I got No Signal as Strenght Signal,so the connection wont stop dropping every 2 minutes,which is really frustrating when im gaming(playing MMORPG).
If so, try another make and model. Please try a brand name next time.
In reply to: Is this your adapter?
It's junk. I found it would sporadically work. Others I share this finding with write similar responses.
And it barely helped. I used XP's WZC rather than Dlink's network management. It helped but did not fix this one. I'd give it away but I want to search for new firmware and try it on Linux someday.
In reply to: Last hurrah.
You have the same PCI adapter than I do?
High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.
"A Headstart" (2013). News Releases. 404.
BIG D RANCH! Great property located in Somerville! This 80 acre farm/ranch offers livestock grazing pastures as well as abundant wildlife. You can walk along the banks of Birch Creek or sit by a campfire near the camp house. The charming home was built in the 1890's and has plenty of space to enjoy family and friends. ...
An Al Jazeera interview with Noam Chomsky, broadcast on Sunday.
Updated | Monday | 2:40 p.m. Noam Chomsky, an American linguist and political thinker who has been critical of Israel, was denied entry into the West Bank on Sunday by Israeli immigration officials when he tried to cross into the Palestinian territory from Jordan to deliver a lecture.
No reason was initially given for the decision, but the Interior Ministry later said immigration officials at the Allenby Bridge border crossing from Jordan had misunderstood Chomsky’s intentions thinking initially he was also due to visit Israel. Chomsky, who is on a speaking tour in the region, was scheduled to speak...
I can only say what was conveyed to me in the discussion with the official who was carrying out the interrogation — he was receiving instructions from the [Israeli] ministry of interior and relaying them. There were two basic points. One was that the government of Israel does not like the kinds of things I say — which ...
Mr. Chomsky had been invited to speak about American foreign and domestic policy by the philosophy department at the Palestinian university in Ramallah.
The renowned linguist was outspoken in his opposition to the Israeli offensive in Gaza, which ended in January 2009 and has criticized Israel’s occupation of Palestinian territory many times.
It is a shame that critics of Israeli policies are seen as either anti-Semites or self-hating Jews. It’s grotesque. If an Italian criticized Italian policies, would he be seen as a self-hating Italian?
Few issues in San Pedro these days can stoke the flames of political and social debate as much as homelessness.
Now, with more than a dozen temporary shelters about to roll out citywide, the debate is reaching a new fever pitch as some residents prepare to gather at 10 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 8, on San Pedro’s main thoroughfare to raise their voices and signs in protest of the 515 N. Beacon St. site proposed for the San Pedro shelt...
“Find another site,” said one organizer, Gayle Fleury of San Pedro, about the rally’s message.
But the frustration runs deeper than just that, she said, and many are worried that the temporary shelters aren’t being well vetted.
On Thursday, the issue blew up on a local talk-radio show during which the hosts, John Kobylt and Ken Chiampou on KFI, called on the San Pedro community to recall Los Angeles City Councilman Joe Buscaino.
“Well, bring it!” a flustered-sounding Buscaino responded during the live phone interview segment.
Earlier, Joanne Rallo, the founder of Saving San Pedro, was interviewed about what she said were growing problems with homelessness and vagrancy in the community.
The hosts, accusing the councilman of dodging their questions about the shelter, compared the situation to an earlier scenario in Koreatown when a similar shelter effort was pushed back.
And then they urged listeners to turn out for Saturday’s rally.
Concern over homelessness has been at a boiling point for some time in San Pedro. Now, as the city’s new temporary shelters are about to roll out, the debate is growing even more bitter.
For San Pedro residents like Bob Milling, those complaining the most appear to be part of a vocal minority.
Both he and Gayle Fleury operate artist studios located across the street from the proposed shelter site, a Caltrans parking lot at 515 N. Beacon St.
Neither think it’s a particularly good or workable location.
That’s especially true, she said, concerning suggestions for alternative, more remote sites such as one on Terminal Island that she’s put forth. Efforts to work with the council office on other sites, she said, have been rebuffed or ignored.
She and other believe that federal property on Terminal Island would provide more than enough room for shelters, a cafeteria and offices for services in what would be a temporary sheltered community. Federal funding also might be available under the McKinney Act, she said.
The 515 N. Beacon St. site, she and other critics say, is close to a preschool, homes and businesses as well as being located across the street from the World Cruise Center and the LA Waterfront that is now being so heavily promoted as a tourist draw.
The rise of homelessness, especially in the past few years, has become a dominant issue as street encampments have become the “new normal” in some parts of the Harbor Area.
A series of court rulings – some the result of lawsuits filed against cities on behalf of the homeless – limits how far local authorities can go in clearing the encampments.
This week, in the latest ruling, a federal appeals court ruled the prosecuting homeless people for sleeping on the streets if there is not sufficient shelter available violates the Constitution.
While Los Angeles and other cities are busy trying to build what’s called “permanent supportive housing” — rental units that include “wrap-around” services — as the long-term solution for homelessness, such housing is costly and will take years to complete.
So how to move individuals off the streets in the meantime has become a pressing concern.
An initiative by Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti calls for $20 million in city funds to be set aside and shared among the 15 council districts to build these facilities. The council added another $10 million to pay for any additional related expenses.
El Pueblo, the first of the temporary facilities, near downtown’s Olvera Street, will open Monday – but it’s only the beginning.
The city, he said, is focused on solutions that he believes voters — by passing both city and county measures to pay for housing for the homeless — support.
The Bridge Home shelters, usually in trailers or large tent-like structures, can house up to 70 people and are meant to be in place for only three years while permanent homes are built.
Buscaino, who represents the Watts-to-Harbor 15th District on the Los Angeles City Council, believes homelessness is a humanitarian issue that can’t be ignored or solved by “shipping them out” as he said one radio show caller suggested.
The Bridge Home shelters will include onsite services, supervision and will allow the homeless to bring their pets and significant others, as well as their belongings that will go into a large box to fit under their cots.
The facilities also won’t force people to leave in the mornings as is the case at other overnight-only shelters. Those who have already been vetted and screened for permanent housing will be placed in the Bridge Home shelters, with the goal of moving them into permanent housing in 90 days, according to the council offi...
Milling said he’s not opposed to the idea but would like to see the shelter in San Pedro start small, with fewer residents, as the model is tested.
People also are skeptical, Milling said, of the “unknowns” but want to see a solution.
Saving San Pedro which has become a hub of the social-media chatter about homelessness on Facebook, believes the encampments are seriously affecting the port community’s public safety.
“The vagrancy and crime problem have really become dramatic in the last three years,” Rallo told the KFI radio show when she was interviewed Thursday.
She told the hosts that San Pedro has struggled with a loss of police officers and the city’s failure to open the LAPD’s Harbor Division’s new jail due to lack of staffing.
The proposed Beacon Street site — which Buscaino said is still being researched — “adds to the ridiculousness,” Rallo said, as it sits across from the World Cruise Terminal.
A significant reason is that the park-and-ride lot is government owned, Buscaino said, although it remains unclear whether the state ownership under Caltrans might make the property too complicated to access for the city use.
Milling believes most people are either out of the loop and unaware of the ongoing discussions or fall somewhere in the middle of the homelessness debate.
“If (the shelter) is in a low-key spot and its quiet and chill, I think that would be wonderful,” Milling said. “But we need to see where it’s working first we need those answers.
Both he and Fleury will accompany the council office Friday morning, Sept. 7, on a tour of the El Pueblo site to get a better feel for what’s being proposed.
As the process continues, Amber Sheikh Ginsberg of San Pedro, who heads up a working group of neighborhood council representatives, is hoping the community can stay positive in seeking out solutions.
LONDON (Reuters) - HSBC has signed a deal to offer BlackRock’s Aladdin investment management software to the bank’s wealthy customers, in a boost to the U.S. asset manager’s plans to squeeze money from technology by selling it to rivals.
Aladdin began as an internal tool at BlackRock before becoming the linchpin of Chief Executive Larry Fink’s plan to increase revenues from technology. It is used by investment managers to help to oversee risks and make investment decisions.
Robert Goldstein, chief operating officer at BlackRock, said HSBC’s scale would mean many more advisers would have access to capabilities previously only available to institutional investors.
The partnership between Europe’s largest bank and the world’s biggest asset manager comes as both industries are battling to use technology to increase profits and improve service.
Guilherme Lima, HSBC’s group head of wealth management, said the software would help investors to understand hidden risks in their portfolios by acting as an ‘X-ray’ that could look through a mix of individual stock holdings, mutual funds and index trackers to reveal that all of them are exposed to a single stock, for ...
That will help HSBC to respond to growing demand from wealthy customers for their banks to offer advice rather than simply selling products.
“It’s about being able to have a detailed conversation with the client and provide more value added advice,” Stuart Parkinson, global head of product, investments and collaboration in HSBC’s private bank, said.
BlackRock’s Fink has said he aims to increase revenues from technology to 30 percent of the firm’s total by 2022, as the broader stockpicking business has come under pressure from lower cost index funds.
More than 200 institutions and around 25,000 investment professionals use Aladdin and its risk analytics, BlackRock says.
Some market participants have questioned whether this presents a systemic risk, as the growing number of firms using the software for investment decisions could make portfolios more correlated and hence exposed to market shocks.
BlackRock executives have downplayed this idea, saying customers use Aladdin in different ways to suit their own purposes.
HSBC has already begun to roll out the platform in the United States and in Hong Kong, the bank said. Over the next 2-3 years Aladdin will eventually be offered to all customers who hold $1 million or more with the bank.
HSBC’s retail bank and its private bank which serves wealthier customers both chose Aladdin independently of each other after running a lengthy procurement process, HSBC’s Parkinson said.
A Kyiv court said that a Ukrainian lawmaker and a top anticorruption official’s decision in 2016 to publish documents linked to President Donald Trump’s then-campaign chairman amounted to interference in the U.S. presidential election.
The December 11 finding came in response to a complaint filed by another Ukrainian lawmaker, who alleged that Serhiy Leshchenko and Artem Sytnyk illegally released the documents in August 2016, showing payments by a Ukrainian political party to Trump’s then-campaign chairman, Paul Manafort.
The documents, excerpts from a secret ledger of payments by the Party of Regions, led to Manafort being fired by Trump’s election campaign.
The Kyiv court said that the documents published by Leshchenko and Sytnyk were part of an ongoing pretrial investigation in Ukraine into the operations of the pro-Russian Party of Regions. The party’s head had been President Viktor Yanukovych until he fled the country amid mass protests two years earlier.
In a post to Facebook on December 12, Leshchenko, who is a member of Ukraine’s parliament, criticized the ruling, saying it was politically motivated, and aimed at undermining Sytnyk, who is director of the National Anti-Corruption Bureau.
The bureau, known as NABU, is a special agency set up to root out Ukraine’s notorious government corruption. However, it’s been hobbled by political infighting, and, according to some critics, has been undermined by President Petro Poroshenko and his allies.
Manafort’s consulting and lobbying work for the Party of Regions netted him millions of dollars over the past decade.
In 2017, he was charged with tax and bank fraud, in the first prosecution brought by Special Counsel Robert Mueller. A U.S. jury found him guilty of many of those charges in August.
He pleaded guilty to a separate set of charges, related to his failure to file required lobbying and foreign agent reports, and he agreed to cooperate with Mueller’s investigators.
However, Mueller’s team has accused Manafort of not being truthful about his contacts with a shadowy Russian operative whom U.S. prosecutors say works with Russian intelligence.
Manafort, who has been jailed since June, is scheduled to be sentenced on his jury conviction in February.
DEREK McLennan stumbled across the massive collection after dragging himself from his sickbed to go on the trip with two friends.
A £1MILLION hail of Viking artefacts has been uncovered in south west Scotland by an amateur treasure hunter and his trusty metal detector.
Derek McLennan, a retired businessman from Ayrshire, stumbled across the massive collection after dragging himself from his sickbed to go on the trip with two friends.
Now he is in line for a bumper payout after the find was described as one of the most significant of its kind ever discovered in the UK.
In total, more than 100 items were recovered, including armbands, a cross and brooches.
The stunned 47-year-old said: “When I realised what I’d found, I couldn’t speak. I was in complete shock. The detector made a signal I should never have heard as the find was so deep.
“I started to dig but I thought it would just be a cast-iron pipe.
Within hours, experts from Historic Scotland had arrived at the field in Dumfries and Galloway to begun a major excavation of the site.
The haul also includes a medieval Christian cross, silver and gold jewellery, glass beads, rare Viking arm rings and possibly the largest silver Carolingian pot ever discovered - with its lid still in place.
The pot is likely to have been around 100 years old when the hoard was buried in the mid 9th or 10th Centuries.
A solid silver cross - which has enamelled decorations which experts consider to be highly unusual - was also amongst the collection.
Derek’s find has still be formally valued, but experts have suggested it could be into seven figures.
And it comes after lucky Derek hit the headlines earlier this year after discovering 322 medieval coins in a field near Kirkcudbright.
His latest find is thought to be around 1000 years old.
Derek and the landowner can expect to share in the massive payout once Government body, the Treasure Trove Unit, have it valued.
Head of the unit, Stuart Campbell, said it was “a hugely significant find which will interest scholars from all over the world”.
Find out how a skeleton found in Scotland could be 10th Century Viking king.
By 11 a.m. Wednesday all appointments to a massive weeklong free health clinic were gone. Those left in line were turned away.