text stringlengths 12 69.1k |
|---|
I accepted an opportunity to drive around with Best Buys' Geek Squad as they strive to make the world a simpler place for technology users. Which is a very worthwhile quest, imho. |
DENVER, Dec. 22 (UPI) -- Former NBA coach George Karl likened coaching Carmelo Anthony to having a blister. |
Karl writes in his upcoming book: Furious George: My Forty Years Surviving NBA Divas, Clueless GMs, and Poor Shot Selection, that when Anthony was traded from the Denver Nuggets to the New York Knicks, it felt like popping that blister. |
The New York Post and Newsday released several excerpts from Karl's new book on Thursday. In the book, Karl doesn't mince words when taking shots at J.R. Smith and Kenyon Martin. He refers to Smith's group of friends as a "posse," the term that put Phil Jackson in hot water last month when Jackson said the same thing a... |
"It had to hurt when they lost LeBron," Jackson told MacMullen in November, referring to Pat Riley and the Miami Heat. "That was definitely a slap in the face. But there were a lot of little things that came out of that. When LeBron was playing with the Heat, they went to Cleveland and he wanted to spend the night. The... |
Karl coached the Nuggets from Jan. 2005 to Feb. 2011. |
"Carmelo was a true conundrum for me in the six years I had him," Karl wrote in his book. "He was the best offensive player I ever coached. He was also a user of people, addicted to the spotlight and very unhappy when he had to share it. |
"He really lit my fuse with his low demand of himself on defense. He had no commitment to the hard, dirty work of stopping the other guy. My ideal — probably every coach's ideal — is when your best player is also your leader. But since Carmelo only played hard on one side of the ball, he made it plain he couldn't lead ... |
"Kenyon and Carmelo carried two big burdens: all that money and no father to show them how to act like a man," Karl wrote. |
Karl, 64, has a 1,175-824 career record as a head coach for six NBA franchises. |
"Furious George" will be released next month, but its doubtful Anthony, Martin, or Smith will be fans of Karl's work. |
A signed edition of Furious George is available for $20.38 at Barnes & Noble. |
In early 2018, the Lamu Security Department introduced the Mvuvi Card whose main objective is to help track all fishermen's movements and activities while at sea. |
Mr Ahmed Islam, a long-time fisherman from Ishakani Village in Lamu East accused the government of playing mind games and only lifting the night fishing ban on 'camera' when they actually had no plans of doing so. |
"Most of the time the security department has been telling the public that security has been restored across Lamu County. They have also been announcing that the ban on night fishing has also been lifted. They even went ahead to distribute Mvuvi Cards as permits for us to conduct fishing at night. But why is it that th... |
Mr Omar Kupi called on the government to understand the fishermen's needs. |
"We're completely impoverished. Children no longer stay in school due to lack of fees. We are only depending on fishing for our survival and it is hard for us to manoeuvre especially since the ban was introduced in our area. We need it lifted so that we can restore our lost glory. The government should understand that ... |
"Many wives here have left their broke husbands who cannot sustain their families anymore. Fishing is doing badly. Only if they lift the ban on night fishing will things would be better," said Mr Ahmed Bahero, a Nyumba Kumi elder from Kiunga. |
The Giants surprised the state by making a run to the state title game, where they fell short, 60-55, to the Greyhounds. |
For Ben Davis coach Don Carlisle and senior swingman Jalen Windham, Saturday’s loss to Carmel in the Class 4A state championship game at Bankers Life Fieldhouse provided a new experience. |
An experience neither man wants to face again. |
The coach, a 1997 Ben Davis graduate, reached two state championship games in his prep career and walked off a winner both times. |
Windham, meanwhile, helped lead the Giants to the 4A title as a sophomore in 2017. |
The road to the state finals proved bumpy for Ben Davis (20-8). The team started 6-0, then lost six of their next 10 before winning four of its final five games of the regular season. |
Then came a razor-thin victory over Pike to open the sectional, followed by a title game triumph over Decatur Central. The Giants really took off at the Southport regional, beating No. 2 Lawrence Central in the semifinal before topping New Palestine in the championship. |
Finally, a 67-61 victory over conference-rival Center Grove at the Washington semistate set up Saturday’s title tilt. |
Windham’s basketball career will continue, as he will join the Georgia State program next season. Teammates Dawand Jones and Tyreese Nibbs have football careers to follow at the next level, while Dominic Day II heads off to run track at Indiana University. Fellow seniors Cameron Maul, Jaylen Jennings and Jeffery Clayto... |
“I tell the other seniors to keep their heads up,” Windham said. “This was fun and it was great to battle with them through the summer, fall and through the whole season. |
Carlisle sounds like he will keep his head up, as well. |
“Me having to stand here and talk about this game while seeing (Carmel) celebrate,” Carlisle said, “is putting a fire in me. Second place is never a good feeling, but, neither is 45th or 50th. |
“I’m proud of the fight this team showed through the course of the season, through our ups and down,” Carlisle continued. “We fought and battled and had a chance to win (Saturday). |
Residents along the Gulf of Mexico are continuing to voice their anger over BP's response to the oil spill. Kelly Cobiella reports that oil has now reached some of Florida's most famous beaches. |
Video: Oil Uproar in Fla. |
Video: Cleaning Up the "Hot Zone" |
Cook�s Pots & Tabletops � 2807 Oak St. 6 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. �Gluten-Free Baking� with Robin Wiper. Class includes tips, techniques and recipes, including Gluten-Free Sesame Baguettes that can be used for pizza dough and prepared as California BBQ Chicken Pizza; G-F Waffles; Chocolate Chunk Brownies; and Retro Banana Cre... |
Protector Plus Internet Security software designed for Windows XP, Windows Vista,Windows7 and Windows8. This product provides 100% protection against viruses, trojans, worms, backdoors, spyware, adware, exploits, password stealers, hack tools, rootkits and other malware.Protector Plus Internet Security is packed with m... |
U.S. Olympic hopeful Daron Rahlves, right, tries to rally in a January 2009 race. |
(CNN) -- Daron Rahlves has one more thing he wants to add to his resume: an Olympic medal. |
Rahlves is one of the most accomplished Alpine skiers in U.S. history, having won 12 Alpine World Cup races and a world title. But in three previous Winter Olympics he has never had a chance to step on the podium. |
He retired from Alpine skiing in 2006, after the Turin Games, but a new Olympic event means he has one more chance to finish in the top three. |
The event is ski cross, where multiple racers take to the course and battle each other through a downhill-like course with banked corners and jumps similar to a freestyle layout. With four skiers all trying to get the fastest lines, skis will touch and bodies will bump sometimes -- and the crashes can be spectacular. |
"It's a roller coaster on skis. Anybody who does it will love it," Rahlves said from northern California where he was taking a break between races to give his wife a day off from taking care of their children on her birthday. |
Ski cross is the only new event for the Vancouver Games, and while it seems like it made a pretty quick run into the Olympic program, it's actually been around for decades. But its popularity has only grown substantially in the past few years, especially thanks to competitions geared toward younger audiences like the X... |
It also helped that snowboard cross drew large audiences during the 2006 Olympics. |
Ski cross appeals to skiing and non-skiing fans. |
"It's the most pure, cool, racing event because it is head-to-head competition," said Fuzz Feddersen, a three-time Olympian in freestyle skiing. "It's like when you were a kid and you were at the top of the run and you are like, 'Let's race to the bottom.' " |
In a race that takes a little more than a minute, the first seconds are almost always the most important. |
Racers of all kinds call it the "holeshot," the battle to be first to turn No. 1. It's no different in ski cross, where a mass start becomes a test of technique and strength. Whoever gets the best start and leads at the first gate often controls the rest of the race. |
The rest of the field is reacting to you, said Brett Buckles, a former ski cross racer on the World Cup circuit and a ski cross coach. She said that someone who takes an early lead wins most of the time. |
"Unless something really [bad] happens, if you ski well, and if your skis are fast, it's pretty hard to lose," she said. |
In early heats, it can help if a teammate is in your race, Rahlves said. That comes into play when the leader can work with the second-place skier to stifle any passing attempts by the other racers. |
Skiers who are behind will often settle in and draft off their opponents, waiting to make a last-minute pass, Rahlves said. And try to do so without making contact. |
Casual contact is allowed in ski cross, but Buckles and Rahlves said racers do their best to avoid it. It slows a racer down in a sport where a half-second can mean making out of your heat or not. Rahlves said that racers who are side-by-side, however, will lean on each other to put some pressure on each other -- liter... |
"Everybody is physical, everyone is trying to take advantage of any opportunity," he said. |
It's the aggressive nature of the sport, he said. It's what drew him back to skiing. He also wanted to be involved in growing the sport of skiing. |
"I'd like to showcase the sport in a new way," he said. "It's the new age of skiing. It's going to be great for the younger generation. There are a ton of kids who try to make the U.S. ski team and now there is another road to go down." |
While Rahlves will be one of the top medal contenders, the Canadian men, who train on the Olympic course, are the favorites. They have a talented pool of skiers led by Chris Del Bosco, a citizen of Canada and the U.S., but teams for the Olympics have yet to be announced. |
In the women's race, every racer will be watching six-time world champion Ophelie David of France. If she fails to win, it will be shocking, and will probably be to her teammate Meryll Boulangeat. |
There is always the intangible of the weather. Cypress Mountain in Whistler, British Columbia, is somewhat close to the ocean, so rain and fog may come into play. Rahlves said that if the course is a little sloppy that would make the start even more important. It would also take away lines outside the main path. |
Unlike many courses, the Olympics venue has a true ski cross layout, and Rahlves said it is a good, long course but not necessarily a fast one. |
He thinks that plays to his strengths and he should be strong enough to be in the final. |
"I want to go out there and put something up on the medal count for the USA," he said. "It'd be cool. It's the one medal I haven't been able to get yet. It'd still mean a lot." |
Dave Morin, the CEO of beleaguered social network Path, posted an apology today addressing the recent controversy over how the app accesses information on a user's phone. Saying the the company made a mistake, Morin promises Path has purged all address-book data from its servers. |
"We made a mistake," Morin writes. "Through the feedback we’ve received from all of you, we now understand that the way we had designed our ‘Add Friends’ feature was wrong. We are deeply sorry if you were uncomfortable with how our application used your phone contacts." |
In the apology, Morin reiterated that Path takes the storage and transmission of personal information "very, very seriously" and said the data was used only as a friend-suggestion tool and to notify users when contacts joined the network. Morin says the information was always encrypted during transmission and stored on... |
In an update to the iOS app, which is now available on the App Store, Path version 2.0.6 will prompt users to opt in or out of sharing their phones' contacts with the app. As before, if users change their minds, they can email Path's customer service department and the company promises to delete the information from it... |
The whole controversy mirrors similar privacy issues that arose around Facebook, specifically the gathering of user information and how the social network shares that data with third parties such as advertisers. Those issues eventually led to an FTC investigation of Facebook, which ended with a settlement last year in ... |
Has Path done enough to put this controversy to rest? Let us know what you think of the company's apology and remedy in the comments. |
We made a mistake. Over the last couple of days users brought to light an issue concerning how we handle your personal information on Path, specifically the transmission and storage of your phone contacts. |
As our mission is to build the world’s first personal network, a trusted place for you to journal and share life with close friends and family, we take the storage and transmission of your personal information very, very seriously. |
Through the feedback we’ve received from all of you, we now understand that the way we had designed our ‘Add Friends’ feature was wrong. We are deeply sorry if you were uncomfortable with how our application used your phone contacts. |
In the interest of complete transparency we want to clarify that the use of this information is limited to improving the quality of friend suggestions when you use the ‘Add Friends’ feature and to notify you when one of your contacts joins Path––nothing else. We always transmit this and any other information you share ... |
We believe you should have control when it comes to sharing your personal information. We also believe that actions speak louder than words. So, as a clear signal of our commitment to your privacy, we’ve deleted the entire collection of user uploaded contact information from our servers. Your trust matters to us and we... |
In Path 2.0.6, released to the App Store today, you are prompted to opt in or out of sharing your phone’s contacts with our servers in order to find your friends and family on Path. If you accept and later decide you would like to revoke this access, please send an email to service@path.com and we will promptly see to ... |
We care deeply about your privacy and about creating a trusted place for you to share life with your close friends and family. As we continue to expand and grow we will make some mistakes along the way. We commit to you that we will continue to be transparent and always serve you, our users, first. |
We hope this update clears up any confusion. You can find Path 2.0.6 in the App Store here. |
Use the Google Map below to get directions to UC Davis. Click here to locate 109 Voorhies Hall on the UC Davis Campus Map web page. |
The closest visitor parking structures are Visitor Parking Lot 5 and the North Entry Parking Structure. |
For more information on how to find UC Davis and the departments you are visiting, please visit the UC Davis map & information web page. |
A 'deadly and unforgiving revenge' for attack that killed 29 people, says Iranian elite force as UAE denies involvement. |
Iran's Revolutionary Guard has vowed to revenge the attack on a military parade that killed 29 people, including the four attackers, and wounded 70 others. |
The Iranian elite force, in a statement on Sunday, said that those behind Saturday's attack will face a "deadly and unforgiving revenge in the near future". |
Iranian officials blamed two Gulf states and the United States for the attack, accusing them of backing the Arab separatist al-Ahvaziya armed group which claimed responsibility for the attack. |
President Hassan Rouhani vowed to deliver a "crushing response", while Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei linked the attack with the US and its "allies in the region". |
The country's foreign minister, Mohammad Javad Zarif, said "regional terror sponsors" were responsible for the attack, adding he held "their US masters accountable". |
While Iranian officials have not directly named the Gulf states, their comments are believed to be directed at Saudi Arabia, the UAE and Israel, which all have hostile relations with Iran and have promised to counter its influence in the region, including inside the country. |
"These terrorists ... were trained and organised by two ... Gulf countries," Iranian military spokesperson Abolfazl Shekarchi told the official news agency IRNA. |
"They are not from Daesh (an Arabic acronym for the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant) or other groups fighting [Iran's] Islamic system ... but are linked to America and [Israel's intelligence agency] Mossad." |
The UAE has denied Iranian allegations alluding to its involvement in training troops that claimed the attack in southwestern Iran. |
"The formal incitement against the UAE from within Iran is unfortunate, and has escalated after the Ahvaz attack," UAE's Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Anwar Gargash said in a tweet. |
"The UAE's historical position against terrorism and violence is clear and Tehran's allegations are baseless." |
The US condemned the attack, with its UN envoy saying it took place because Rouhani has "oppressed his people for a long time". |
The attack in Ahvaz came as the country marked the anniversary of the start of its 1980-1988 war with Iraq. Four gunmen dressed in military uniform sprayed bullets into a crowd of marching soldiers, bystanders and government officials watching from a nearby stand. |
Al Jazeera's Zein Basravi, reporting from the capital Tehran, said the "attack for many Iranian communities was very personal". |
"What we are hearing from the revolutionary guards is that they will carry out a swift and violent response, and that is something unique," he said. |
Little is known about the al-Ahvaziya group, but Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) spokesperson Ramezan Sharif told ISNA it was "funded by Saudi Arabia". |
Mostafa Koshcheshm, a Tehran-based political commentator and journalist, told Al Jazeera that the al-Ahvaziya movement had been "nurtured, supported, and trained by Saudi Arabia". |
"It's been operating for the past several years. They are looking to cut off and separate Iran's energy-rich province of Khuzestan from Iran, which is exactly what Saddam Hussein wanted to do," said Koshcheshm. |
Ahvazi Arabs are a small minority in mainly ethnic Persian Iran but sit on top of the bulk of the country's 137 billion barrels of oil. |
They are divided over whether they want independence or devolution of power within a democratic, federal Iran, but at their most ambitious, some Ahvazi groups want an independent state stretching beyond the borders of Khuzestan, which sits at the head of the strategic Gulf waterway and shares a border with Iraq. |
Subsets and Splits
No community queries yet
The top public SQL queries from the community will appear here once available.