text
stringlengths
14
66.2k
Is this real life or a fairytale? We’re unsure. Make your most romantic dreams come true by riding off into the sunset with your loved one. On the northern coast, St. Lucia offers horseback tours, so you can explore the island in style. Whether you’re a new or experienced rider, a guide will be there to make sure you e...
The island experience would be incomplete without spending some time in the water. Experience the white sand and warm, crystal blue waters of the island’s many beaches, including Grand Anse and Reduit Beach. Get closer to nature with one of the many whale and dolphin-watching excursions, or dive in deeper with popular ...
Experience the tropical beauty and maritime charm of Harbor Club St. Lucia, Curio Collection by Hilton. Set in the Gros Islet quarter on the northwest coast, Harbor Club provides a laidback getaway near some of the island’s top beaches, attractions and nightlife.
Cabin’s boast jaw-dropping views and luxury amenities, while the unique Swim-Up Cabins are located on the ground floor with direct pool access. With a choice of six world-class restaurants and lounges, there is no shortage of gourmet cuisine to indulge in. From pitch-perfect sushi, stone-fired pizza, delectable pastrie...
Designed for the best of work and play, Harbor Club has thought of everything. Plunge into four sparkling swimming pools or escape to a private cabana. Treat yourself to a massage or mani/pedi at The Spa, or get physical at The Gym featuring state-of-the-art equipment, personal trainers, and spectacular island views.
The Winner of the Harbor Club Honeymoon contest receives a five-night stay for two with complimentary daily breakfast, plus dinner at Julia’s including a complimentary bottle of wine – all valued at $3,000. Click here to enter for a chance to win a dream honeymoon for two!
Cedar, pine and fir trees are available for collection as Christmas trees to those who purchase a permit from the U.S. Forest Service or Bureau of Land Management.
The Forest Service offers Jeffrey pine, white fir and incense cedar permits, while BLM is handling access to the lower-altitude pi-on pine.
Permits for a pi-on cost only $5; Jeffrey pine, white fir and incense cedar permits are $10.
There are 3,500 $10 permits at the Forest Service. Permits are good in the Humbolt-Toiyabe National Forest in three designated areas: the Dog Valley area between Bordertown and Verdi, along Wolf Creek in the Leviathan Mine area, and at Burnside Lake west of the Blue Lakes area.
According to Laura Williams, public affairs officer for the Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest’s Carson Ranger District, cutting is allowed in those areas because trees were replanted after timber harvests or fires.
“All the trees in these areas are the same age, and we need to keep them thinned down,” she said.
Pi-on pine permits from BLM are good in these locations: the Pine Nut Mountains between Carson City and Yerington, Clan Alpine and Desatoya mountains east of Fallon, and the Excelsior Mountains south of Hawthorne.
All tree cutters must bring their own saws, and the Forest Service and BLM recommend they also bring warm clothing, a first-aid kit, heavy rope or chain, extra food, water, tire chains and a shovel. Cutters are encouraged to gather trees early in the season because access to some areas can be cut off by snowfall.
Last year, all 3,000 permits were sold so this year, the number available was increased by 500, according to Williams. On Friday, the first day the Forest Service sold permits, more than 110 were sold.
All permits are nonrefundable, and there is a limit of two permits per household.
“Most people wait until after Thanksgiving,” Helming said.
— For information call the Carson Ranger District at 882-2766 or BLM Carson City Field Office at 885-6000.
— If out cutting a tree do not become too greedy. Trees are a lot bigger than they look, so check the height and width against the space where you will put it. People sometimes cut trees two times as big as they want.
— Always trim the bottom and at first immerse trunk in a bucket of water.
— Let it absorb water before putting it in the tree stand.
— Continue to keep well watered, once the water is gone the tree shuts down and can’t take in more water. It’s then a tree becomes a fire hazard.
— A tree that is dropping needles is one you don’t want.
CHULA VISTA, Calif. (CBS 8) - A man is denying charges in what prosecutors are calling a horrendous case of domestic violence.
Vicky Nikhil Pathak, 23, pleaded not guilty Thursday to beating and torturing his wife three weeks ago.
Prosecutors say Pathak's wife made up a story about robbers attacking her while she was jogging in Chula Vista so she could see a doctor.
"He beat her over the course of two hours with his fists, with a wire hanger and with strangulation, left her with bruises all over her body," a prosecutor said.
Prosecutors also claim Pathak continued to beat his wife after she got out of the hospital.
The judge increased his bail from $500,000 to $750,000. Pathak was also ordered not to have any contact with his wife or three-year-old daughter.
The Peter Jackson-produced, Guillermo del Toro-directed two-film adaptation of The Hobbit will begin shooting in June.
THE HOBBIT’s, two films, start shooting in New Zealand in June. Filming will take over a year. Casting in Los Angeles, New York City and London has started. The script too proceeds. The first draft is crammed with old and new friends, again on a quest in Middle Earth. The director Guillermo del Toro is now living in We...
It’s not about women’s soccer.
However, a Monday, May 17, 2010 press release found right on the front page of uwbadgers.com has Wisconsin conceding defeat in the 2009-2010 Minnesota-Wisconsin Border Battle because of Goldy Gopher’s past-season victories over Bucky Badger in sports such as women’s soccer, women’s cross country, softball and track and...
I don’t wish to besmirch the importance of those athletic programs. On the contrary, I consider a well-rounded athletic department inclusive of as many men’s and women’s programs as possible to be vital to a major university’s DNA.
But let’s be realistic: There are sports that sell tens of thousands of tickets; that bring in tons of revenue through advertising, licensing, broadcasting, and sponsorships; that fuel radio and TV sports talk shows and blogs, and that inspire fans to paint their bodies their school colors, to get tattoos of their scho...
Those sports are not track and field and diving.
So with that in mind, saying that Minnesota won last year’s “Border Battle” over Wisconsin is a bit like saying that the Cleveland Cavaliers were the best team in the NBA this season. Yes, they won the most games, but not the ones that counted the most.
To be fair, unlike the BCS rankings, the “Border Battle” calculations are easy to interpret. According to the release, 40 points are at stake in each of 22 sports for a possible total of 880 points.
In a sport where the Badgers and Gophers compete head-to-head (i.e., football), the 40 points goes to the winner of the game. If the teams play multiple games (i.e., men’s hockey), the possible points are divided by the number of times they play.
So, for example, the Badgers received 40 points for football based on their 31-28 victory on October 3. But both the Badgers and the Gophers received 20 points for men’s hockey based upon the 2-2 split for the four games played throughout the season.
After points were awarded in all 22 sports, the Gophers won the “Border Battle” easily by a final tally of 550-330.
Men’s basketball is a perfect illustration of this. During the 2009-2010 season, Bo Ryan and Tubby Smith went head-to-head only once, in Minneapolis on February 18. The Badgers played one of their worst regular season games that night, losing to Minnesota 68-52.
For that victory, the Gophers were awarded 40 points and the Badgers zero. But this simple calculation misses the bigger picture.
The Badgers’ men’s basketball team finished the year 24-9, were awarded a #4 seed in the NCAA tournament and advanced (albeit just barely) to the tournament’s second round.
The Gophers’ men’s basketball team, meanwhile, finished the year 21-14, were a bubble team that snuck into the NCAA tournament with an #11 seed and lost by double digits in the tournament’s first round.
Clearly, the Badgers’ men’s hoops team had the better season than Minnesota, yet the “Border Battle” scorecard reflects the exact opposite.
Or look at men’s hockey. I already stated that both teams shared 20 points in that sport, yet Mike Eaves' team advanced all the way to the NCAA championship game, whereas the Gophers finished the year with a sub-.500 record and completely out of the running for an NCAA tournament bid.
Yet the “Border Battle” total implies that the programs had an equally successful year.
The Minnesota-Wisconsin rivalry is a storied, intense, often bitterly angry one that is not limited to collegiate sports. Certainly many Packers fans consider any season in which Green Bay sweeps the Vikings a success (and vice versa) no matter what the outcome of the other 14 games on the schedule.
Given the dominating success that Wisconsin enjoyed over Minnesota in the key sports of football, men’s basketball, and men’s football (as well as women’s basketball), it’s hard to stomach the fact that the 2009-2010 Border Battle Trophy will be displayed in the Twin Cities.
Like Sandra’s dubious Survivor win, Minnesota emerging victorious in the Border Battle is clearly a hollow victory.
Evacuation of 11 Indian nationals by Pakistani navy follows rescue of three Pakistanis by India from war-torn country.
Eleven Indian nationals have returned to New Delhi from Yemen after being evacuated by the Pakistani navy.
The evacuees on Wednesday thanked the government of Pakistan for its assistance and joined at least 4,000 other Indians evacuated from Yemen by India over the past week.
Three Pakistani nationals were earlier transferred from Al-Hodeidah to Djibouti by the Indian navy as part of its evacuation operations.
The two countries' humanitarian moves come on the sidelines of an escalating conflict in Yemen.
Abdul Basit, Pakistan's ambassador to India, said the cooperation will play a significant role in normalising relations between the two countries.
For his part, VK Singh, India's junior foreign affairs minister, says the situation in Yemen, especially the southern part, which is the last major foothold of President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi, is becoming worse.
"We have more fighting in Aden. And that is why one of our ships could not dock at that time and we had to move people by smaller ports," he said.
Fighting has increased in Aden between the Houthi fighters and their allies and local groups loyal to Hadi, while a Saudi-led coalition has intensified air strikes and bombardment of the southern coastal city.
Many of the Indian evacuees are from the southern state of Kerala, where they continue to experience the indirect effects of the Yemen conflict.
Evacuees in Kochi, speaking to Al Jazeera, said they depend on the income they receive in Yemen. They would like to return to Yemen and expressed hopes about a speedy end to the conflict.
Asok Kumar, one evacuee, told Al Jazeera the Houthis had not caused any problems for them.
"They are very good to us. Houthis are not any problems for Indians. They are very good [towards] Indians. But we afraid there will be no government tomorrow - after the war. There is nothing. You cannot go and complain about anything when they engage in looting."
However, analysts say that they conflict is not likely to end soon.
Pushing Arts In Nz Trust and Whangarei District Council presents Street Prints Manaia. Supported by TUIA 250 Encounters, Foundation North, Fin DAC, Creative Communities and Resene. This will be PAINT's fourth and Whangarei's first International Street Art Festival. Hosting the worlds best Street Artists along with Aote...
Street Prints Manaia will take place in Whangarei City from the 24th to the 28th January 2019. The event will showcase 20 street artists painting 15 murals throughout the city. Elite artists from the United States, Brazil, Mexico, Italy, Spain and other countries will be on hand for the event.
Street Prints Manaia is a unique street art festival encouraging art participation from the entire community, especially with youth aged 16 - 24 years old. Street Prints Manaia was inspired to combine art with Whangarei's rich history, beautiful lands and seas. It hopes to unify the local community and remind the resid...
The entire Festival is based on the theme ‘Tuia te muka Tāngata’ or ‘Weaving the threads of Humanity’. This theme was discussed with local Ngatiwai kaumatua, Te Warahi Hetaraka. His thoughts are to create an Art Event that joins all cultures and people and explores history but pushes forward to the future. With a mixt...
Street Prints Manaia will kick off with a Powhiri to welcome all of the artists, visitors, and sponsors and officially open the Festival. The assembled artists will then paint murals throughout Whangarei City during the five-day event.
Attending Artists will mentor youth while they paint, these youth will create the murals alongside the Artists. Artists will also have artwork in a Pop up Art Exhibition at 19 Rathbone Street, in Whangarei Central for all the community to enjoy and view. On Sunday evening, an opportunity to purchase original artworks i...
In addition, community can participate in Art Workshops run by attending Artists. Attendees will gain knowledge of painting, graffiti, drawing, writing, and illustration in the unique workshops.
All Street Prints Manaia events are free to attend and open to all ages.
MOSCOW – Uzbekistan's election commission says more than 70 percent of eligible voters have already cast their ballots midway through an election certain to be won by longtime leader Islam Karimov.
The 77-year-old Karimov has led the former Soviet republic in Central Asia since the late 1980s and ruthlessly quashed all opposition to his rule.
While Uzbekistan is untroubled by any immediate signs of unrest, its future is colored with uncertainty amid a troubled security situation in neighboring Afghanistan and lack of a clear succession plan should Karimov suddenly leave the scene.
At a briefing reported by Russian news agencies, Central Election Commission chairman Mirzo-Ulugbek Abdusalomov said turnout hit nearly 72 percent by 1 p.m., with polls open for another seven hours.
Karimov last won re-election with 91 percent of the vote.
When MTV announced their candidates for their annual Video Music Awards on Tuesday, it came as no surprise that recent worldwide sensation One Direction was included in the list of nominations.
One Direction, an Irish and UK pop band formed during the 2010 season of the UK ‘X Factor,’ found massive success in 2012 with the debut of their album ‘Up All Night.’ The album became the first ever debut album from a British band to debut at number one, beating out the likes of The Beatles and The Spice Girls.
Of course, the five lads of One Direction, including Mullingar native and teen heartthrob Niall Horan, have claimed the hearts of teenage girls the world over.
Voting for all of the categories, except Best New Artist, will be concluded on August 24th. Best New Artist votes will be collected up until the night of the awards show, which is September 6th. Get voting for One Direction!
Vodafone has boosted its 3G coverage to avoid a slap on the wrist, meaning all the UK's major mobile phone networks now meet their 3G coverage targets. Good work, guys. After all, you've only had 14 years.
In November, telecoms watchdog Ofcom singled out Vodafone as the only network failing to live up to its 3G coverage obligations. EE, Three and O2 all met the government target of covering 90 per cent of the population with 3G signal, but Vodafone fell short. To be fair, the shortfall was only 1.4 per cent, though.
Having now made up the numbers by upgrading 2G sites to 3G, Vodafone has avoided a spanking from Ofcom.
A Vodafone spokesperson told me today that "We remain committed to delivering 98% population coverage across 2G, 3G and 4G by 2015 and are investing more than £900m in our network in this year alone."
3G launched in the year 2000, when mobile spectrum licences were auctioned by the government with an obligation for buyers to reach 80 per cent of the British population. That was increased to 90 per cent a few years ago.
Having finally cracked 3G, Vodafone has joined EE, O2, Three and Tesco Mobile in launching 4G. O2 is required by Ofcom to extend its 4G coverage across 98 per cent of the British population by 2017, and the other networks reckon they'll match that target too.
For more on coverage in your area, check out Ofcom's UK Mobile Services Map 2013.
How's the coverage in your area? What's your network like? Tell us your thoughts in the comments.
STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (AP) -- A snowstorm with a ferocity more familiar in February than October socked the Northeast over the weekend, knocking out power to 2.3 million, snarling air and highway travel and dumping more than 2 feet of snow in a few spots as it slowly moved north out of New England. Officials warned it cou...
The combination of heavy, wet snow, leaf-laden trees and frigid, gusting winds brought down limbs and power lines. At least three deaths were blamed on the weather, and states of emergency were declared in New Jersey, Connecticut, Massachusetts and parts of New York.
"If you are without power, you should expect to be without power for a prolonged period of time," Connecticut Gov. Dannel P. Malloy said Saturday night.
The storm worsened as it moved north, and communities in western Massachusetts were among the hardest hit. Snowfall totals topped 27 inches in Plainfield, and nearby Windsor had gotten 26 inches by early Sunday.
Along the coast and in such cities as Boston, relatively warm water temperatures helped keep snowfall totals much lower. Washington received a trace of snow, tying a 1925 record for the date. New York City's Central Park set a record for both the date and the month of October with 1.3 inches of snow.
Some inland towns got more than a foot of snow. West Milford, N.J., about 45 miles northwest of New York City, saw 19 inches by early Sunday.
New Jersey's largest electric and gas utility, PSE&G, warned customers to prepare for "potentially lengthy outages" and advised power might not be fully restored until Wednesday. More than 600,000 lost electricity in the state, including Gov. Chris Christie.
More than 22 inches fell in New Hampshire's capital of Concord, weeks ahead of the usual first measurable snowfall.
Elsewhere in northern New England, the unofficial arrival of winter was a boon for some. Two Vermont ski resorts, Killington and Mount Snow, started the ski season early by opening one trail each over the weekend, and Maine's Sunday River ski resort also opened for the weekend.
The severity of the storm caught many by surprise.