text stringlengths 11 58.2k |
|---|
When she went upstairs, she grabbed her rifle. But on her way back to Scott, she heard her father tell her to leave. Then he told her to leave her rifle inside. |
As she was running across the street to a neighbor’s home, she heard the second gunshot. |
The report made several recommendations, including that courts should have the authority to issue search and seizure orders for weapons as part of a PFA order. |
The report also said lawmakers should encourage law enforcement officers to use active GPS monitoring of abusers to provide real-time notice to victims – something Brown thinks could have saved her mother. |
“They would have seen that he was in the area and been on him," she said. |
A proposal introduced last year in the state Senate would have required everyone with an active PFA order against them to relinquish firearms. The bill also would have given people convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence 24 hours to surrender their weapons, instead of 60 days. |
On Jan. 3, state Sen. Tom Killion, R-Delaware County, told fellow lawmakers he planned to introduce similar legislation this session. |
But action on those efforts doesn't appear imminent. |
Scott Hoke after being arrested in 2016. |
Gates, the PFA attorney for Scott Hoke, expressed skepticism about making changes based on the deaths of Susan and Scott, including the idea that all PFA orders should require people to give up their guns. Gates said it’s common for defendants to be willing to agree to a final protective order but still want to keep fi... |
In a phone interview in late December, Bentzel said he believed Scott Hoke used his own gun in the shootings, and Bentzel was “99 percent sure” he didn’t purchase the gun after a protection-from-abuse order. But he declined to provide additional details. |
Brown and a brother of Scott Hoke said guns weren't seized before the Sept. 12 deaths. Gates said he wasn't aware of guns being seized, and that he believes he would have known if they had been. |
Even if guns had been seized, Susan's children think Scott would have found a way to get one. |
Kimberly Brown, center, whose mother was killed in September 2016, saw the recent death of state Trooper Landon Weaver as another sign of flaws in Pennsylvania's protection-from-abuse system. Weaver was shot in Huntingdon County while responding to a reported PFA order violation. State Police say Weaver's shooter illeg... |
After Susan's death, Tiffany moved in with a friend's family, taking the family dogs. Forry eventually moved back into the home. It felt weird being there on his own, so Forry had a friend move in, and then got some cats. It was a temporary situation. In January, the family was making plans to get rid of the house. |
On a cold Saturday morning in January, Susan Hoke's three children talked about their mother in the home where she died. Brown said it’s easier to not talk about her death, but talking might help prevent this for another family. |
Seeking some fun between snow showers? No need for cabin fever with all the fun happening in South Jersey. |
Consult with a medium, hit the ice, learn a Colonial craft or attend a wine weekend event. Still need more ideas? Hang out with some naughty puppets! |
For those wondering when we'll be allowed back into both the show Westworld and the park Westworld, we're still going to have to wait another year. HBO has announced that the show won't return until 2020. |
This comes as no surprise, but it's still a blow for anyone hoping to check in on Bernard and Co. sometime in the near future. Considering it took roughly three years to get the first season of Westworld off the ground, and then there was a year and a half gap between Seasons 1 and 2, the show is clearly following a lo... |
While we've got at least a dozen months to wait for new episodes, the show is clearly starting to ramp up production. It was previously announced that Breaking Bad's Aaron Paul is joining the cast, and while his character is top secret, he told The Wrap that he's going to bring "excitement, danger, suspense [and] hones... |
All I can say is... it's lit. |
Season 2 saw Dolores (Evan Rachel Wood) break out of the park and into the real world, so there's a possibility that Paul and Waithe won't even have to put on western garb, or suit up in lab coats to work in the Delos facility. We'll find out next year. |
Additionally, HBO also announced that Insecure and Curb Your Enthusiasm also won't return until 2020. |
When was the last time you sold a house for $135,000 above the asking price? An Australian man recently made headlines by doing just that: selling his home on Twitter. |
With the help of digital marketer John Newell and real estate agent Hocking Stewart, Kurt Oprey was able to sell his home in Northcote, a Melbourne suburb, for $135,000 above the asking price by employing social media in the six weeks leading up to its auction. Though his strategy was a bit more complicated than the he... |
1. Start by targeting specific keywords. Oprey’s first step was to determine the keywords that would be “perfectly aligned with the most common search phrases used by people searching for real estate in Northcote.” He and John decided on “Northcote, house, sale, auction” and used those everywhere, including the URL for... |
2. Create a microsite on WordPress. A microsite helps you tell a unique story and serves as a platform for search engine optimization (SEO) and lead conversion. WordPress is one of the most flexible and widely used platforms out there; it allows you to quickly create a professional-looking website. It’s SEO-friendly an... |
3. Build campaigns for every major medium and service. Oprey didn’t stop at a Twitter account and blog. He also created a Facebook page, a YouTube channel, and Flickr, Picasa and Posterous accounts for the Northcote house. By creating multiple sources of photo, video and written content, Oprey ensured that the Northcot... |
4. Collaborate to make it personal. Traditionally, sellers and buyers are discouraged from personal contact in order to prevent any interactions that could jeopardize the deal. But social media provides a certain amount of distance between people, allowing you to use a more personal touch in highlighting the features o... |
This made the house stand out and gave the campaign content that the agent would have been hard-pressed to create on his own. A blog post was created, with the title: “Why you might want to live here by people who have,” and the owner’s personal stories, photos and videos about the Northcote house were also posted. |
This communication with the owner allowed him to share what he loves about the house: inside, outside, what’s great about living there, the change of seasons, what’s nearby, the community — everything from the owner’s point of view. The house, in this way, can become more than a collection of rooms — it becomes a home ... |
6. Don’t do this alone. Owners might be tempted to think that they don’t need a real estate agent, and agents might be tempted to think that they don’t need marketing help. Oprey worked with an agent and a marketer on the Northcote house for good reason: Creating compelling content on multiple platforms is a time-consu... |
The future of real estate marketing will have all parties playing their part in the process: owners sharing stories to personalize and add emotional content about their home; marketers tying the online efforts together in ways that drive interest and leads; and the agent, orchestrating the entire process, connecting al... |
If this seems like a lot of work to you, it is. But it’s no different than the mountain of work that you are already doing to sell a house. It’s just a matter of focusing on where the customers are spending their time: online. Use these six steps as a checklist. |
And look at your latest listing. Have you done what it takes to get an offer well above the asking price? Tell us about your own special tricks by commenting below. |
JAMES ISLAND, SC (WCSC) - Sunday was all about going green at the James Island County Park. The 6th Annual Carolina Green Fair brought families out for an eventful day while promoting sustainability in the lowcountry. |
"We recycle at home all the time," says Melvin Mikell. |
The Carolina Green Fair is all about encouraging everyone to care about the environment and to make homes and businesses more eco-friendly. |
"It's actually really fun helping the earth," says Mikell. |
Matt Rosebrock is the festival and event manager for the Charleston County Park and Recreation Commission. |
"The County Park and Recreation Commission takes sustainability...to heart," says Rosebrock. |
"At all our festivals we compost we recycle to make sure that the footprint we have at our festivals is very minimal," says Rosebrock. |
"So far it's a great Charleston Day we're out here enjoying the family," says Tyler Shore. "The pet adoptions was really cool. We come here because we love animals and going green." |
The fair encourages the youth to create sustainable ideas to to benefit the environment. Project funding is provided to various schools. |
"My favorite part about being out here is to celebrate all the green grass and the trees and all the seasons that are to come," says Mikell. |
There were also vendors and people selling local food. Rock climbing, paddle boarding, and Zumba were some of the other attractions. |
"It's such a great atmosphere for the entire family," says Rosebrock. |
For more information on the Carolina Green Fair visit https://www.ccprc.com/1668/Carolina-Green-Fair. |
If trends among millennials are any indication, cash, checks and credit cards could all be going the way of the passenger pigeon. |
As Bloomberg points out, mobile payment apps like eBay's Venmo are increasingly being used by young adults to handle everything from dining tabs to living expenses. Usage of the app jumped 62 percent during this year's first quarter, with a total of $312 million in processed transactions. |
Payment apps, which link to a user's checking and credit accounts, can be downloaded for iOS and Android phones and accessed with Wi-Fi at restaurants and bars. The technology has spawned a slew of competing Venmo-like apps, including Popmoney, Google Wallet and Square Cash, though no single app has come to dominate th... |
According to July figures from Nielsen, 55 percent of mobile payments are made by smartphone users in the 18 to 34 age bracket. Commenting on the trend to Bloomberg, Venmo's CEO William Ready told Bloomberg, "The early adopters [are people who have grown] up with mobile social media." |
With millennials comprising 27 percent of the U.S. population, app makers are largely gearing products towards that technologically-inclined demographic, 66 percent of who follow brands on social media and 90 percent of who are active on Facebook. |
Nicola Sturgeon has insisted she would have no right to rule out holding a second independence referendum if polls produce "strong and consistent'' evidence that the majority of Scots want to leave the UK. |
The Scottish First Minister said she respected the result of last year's ballot, which saw voters reject independence by 55% to 45%. |
She warned David Cameron that cuts from Westminster, together with the planned renewal of the Trident nuclear deterrent and other factors, could see support for independence rise. |
Two polls since last September's referendum have suggested a majority of Scots want to exit the Union. |
With support for the SNP continuing to grow, there has been constant speculation about when a new vote on the issue could take place. |
Ms Sturgeon said: "To propose another referendum in the next parliament without strong evidence that a significant number of those who voted No have changed their minds would be wrong and we won't do it. |
But the SNP leader added: "Over the next few years, as the Tories impose even deeper cuts, press ahead with Trident renewal and fail to honour in full the vow of more powers for our Parliament, I think support for independence will continue to rise. |
"So let me also be clear about this. If there is strong and consistent evidence that people have changed their minds and that independence has become the choice of a clear majority in this country, then we have no right to rule out a referendum and we won't do that either. |
She spoke out as she addressed the SNP conference in Aberdeen - the largest gathering the party has ever staged. |
With the Conservative government planning to stage a referendum on the UK's membership of the European Union, the First Minister warned that if Scotland was removed from the EU "against our democratic wishes'' on the basis of votes in England, that demand for another ballot on independence could be "unstoppable''. |
She sent a direct message to the Prime Minister, saying: "Let me say this to David Cameron. Last year, you told the Scottish people that the only way to protect our EU membership was to vote No. It was one of the central issues of your campaign. |
"If you try to take Scotland out of the EU against our democratic wishes, you will be breaching the terms of last year's vote. |
But with the SNP aiming to win an historic third term in office at Holyrood in less than seven months time, much of Ms Sturgeon's speech was focused on the upcoming Scottish elections. |
She pledged the SNP would "set out radical, ambitious and progressive policies to make this country even stronger''. |
As part of that she promised that an SNP government would build at least 50,000 affordable new homes over the next parliamentary term if it wins in May - of which approximately 35,000 would be new council or housing association properties. |
No party has ever won a third term in office in the devolved Scottish Parliament, but Ms Sturgeon told SNP delegates: "If we are re-elected next May, our target in the next parliament will be to build at least 50,000 new affordable homes. |
"That commitment - worth more than £3 billion - is a mark of the ambition we have for this country. |
While the SNP has "record approval ratings in the polls'' in Scotland, Ms Sturgeon insisted her party would "campaign harder than we have ever done to win''. |
Next year's Scottish Parliament elections will be Ms Sturgeon's first as party leader and First Minister. |
The SNP leader said she wanted those who had rejected independence last year to back her party for a third term in government. |
"I don't want to just win the votes of independence supporters,'' Ms Sturgeon stated. |
In the general election this year, the SNP swept the board in Scotland, winning all but three of the 59 seats that were up for grabs. |
Ms Sturgeon said the SNP in Westminster are "the only party with the unity and the conviction to stand strong against austerity''. |
After 21 Labour MPs rebelled against new leader Jeremy Corbyn last night and voted for the Conservative Charter of Budget Responsibility, its "divisions were laid bare''. |
Ms Sturgeon said: "There is much that I hoped the SNP and Jeremy Corbyn could work together on. But over these last few weeks, it has become glaringly obvious that he is unable to unite his party on any of the big issues of our day. |
In contrast she said the SNP "stands against Trident today, tomorrow, always''. |
The First Minister continued: "Whether on the economy, or Trident, or even the question of whether UK forces should take part in air strikes on Syria, Labour is a party divided and in disarray. |
Ms Sturgeon went on: "As Labour becomes ever more divided, the Tories, under the cloak of centrist rhetoric, threaten to even more deeply divide our society. |
She added that the SNP could "counter this shift'' by opposing the Conservatives at Westminster and by governing at Holyrood "showing there is a better way, directly benefiting people in Scotland and providing a beacon of hope to people across the UK''. |
A police officer lifts crime scene tape for a patrol vehicle to exit in the 6200 block of South Laflin Street late on Aug. 26, 2017, in Chicago. A 24-year-old man was shot in the head and transported to Advocate Christ Medical Center. |
Police officers inspect a crime scene in the 6200 block of South Laflin Street late on Aug. 26, 2017, in Chicago. A 24-year-old man was shot in the head and transported to Advocate Christ Medical Center. |
Photos from shootings and other acts of violence in the Chicago area from Aug. 25-27, 2017. |
Less than two years ago, Trump campaign CEO Steve Bannon was orchestrating rallies for candidate Donald Trump in front of dozens of thousands of people in some of America’s largest venues. |
As the White House chief strategist until August 2017, Bannon advised the president on matters of national security, immigration reform and health care. |
And as chairman of far-right media network Breitbart, he commanded a rapt audience. |
None of the GOP candidates running in and around Buffalo, New York, responded to an invite from Bannon to attend a rally he headlined for them this week. |
Tickets to an upcoming fundraising dinner with Bannon in Florida went from as high as $20,000 to free, as of Monday. |
“The Trump Anniversary Dinner with Steve Bannon this Friday will be COMPLEMENTARY TO ALL. We have a donor who will cover our expenses,” Hillsborough County Republican Party vice chairman, Jeff Lukens, wrote to party members in an email Monday. |
In an interview with the New York Daily News, Bannon assured reporters that the low attendance numbers have not bothered him. |
Correction, 10:40 a.m. | An earlier version of this report misstated Steve Bannon’s current job. |
T&T’S Dexter St Louis and Anthony Corbin stayed on course to reach the main draw of the men’s doubles competition at the Llebherr 2017 World Table Tennis Championship in Düsseldorf, Germany. |
In his men’s Group 56 qualifiers five-time Caribbean singles champion St Louis was beaten by Russian Vladimir Sidorenko 0-4 and Chile’s Juan Lamadrid 2-4 and faces Mexican Ricardo Villa in his final match. Corbin, who resides in England, suffered defeats in his two Group 40 matches, by 0-4 margins to Denmark’s Anders L... |
Chung, also a five-time women’s regional singles champion, was beaten by Slovakian Lucia Truksova 2-4 and will meet Denmark’s Stefanie Christensen and Bangladeshi Rahima Alter to complete Pool 50 play. |
Daily Arrest Blotter - list of arrests made by Gastonia, Gaston County police departments and Gaston County Sheriff�s Office. |
Arrests that occurred from midnight 1/24/14 to 11:59 p.m. on 1/25/14. |
Clemmer, William Lewis, 28, 2022 Dallas Stanley Highway, Stanley, 1/25/14, 12:33 p.m., larceny-shoplifting, 3648 E. Franklin Blvd., Stamey, J. L. |
Subsets and Splits
No community queries yet
The top public SQL queries from the community will appear here once available.